Chapter 4 ✂ The Rose

With your arms stacked with your belongings, you pushed yourself through the door. You gawked around hooping your boss wouldn't notice you were late. It was pin drop silent as it's always been. With a sly grin growing upon your lips, you crept behind the counter and rummaged through your bag. You pulled out the infant plant that your boss asked of you get other day.

"Seems like you've gotten caught in traffic again." A voice cooed behind, which startled you half to death.

"Oh Mr. Gold... I suppose you can say that." You chuckled nervously, realizing he had caught onto your infamous lies. "I got that branch you asked."

"Perfect, thank you Dearie." He crooked a cunning smirk as he took hold I the plant.

"Um.. Mr. Gold? I know I've been coming to work late now and days but I kind of made a promise to a friend that I'd take over her shift today--"

"You finished your duties properly. I have nothing against you leaving early once in a while." He interrupted.

"Really? Oh well.. That's great! Thank you!"

"Well if that's it, I'll be heading to the back if you need me." The man said before limping away with his crooked leg.

And so you went back to what you did nearly every single day in this shop; daydream and think heavily. Mr. Gold never said anything about it since you do everything he says. Your job wasn't too hard and you got paid well for it. Well that was quite obvious considering your employer was Mr. Gold. All you had to do was fetch the antique things for his collection and not get caught red handed. It was a simple job with a simple life. But you couldn't help but despise the silence and loneliness. Your apartment and this shop had one thing in common, there was never a new face to see. It was your lucky day though, you did manage to bump into someone new today. That freshened your thought up a little.

And just as always, time passed you as your thoughts raced past your mind. The sound of your phone vibrate against the display case broke you out of your trance but also made you leap.

"Hello?" You answered the phone.

"(Y/N)? Where are you?"

"Oh! Ruby... I'm just out the door! I-I'll be there soon!" You stuttered as you grabbed your things with your free arm.

"Hurry! If Granny sees me any longer, she'll make me do the shift for free labour."

You chuckled lightly. "Alright, I'll be there." As you pushed the door open with your foot, you called back into the shop. "Mr. Gold! I'm leaving now! Is there anything you need?"

"No dearie! See you early in the morning tomorrow!" He called. And with that cue, you left. You staggered down the street till you were hit by the most divine aroma. You resumed to walk as your eyes met the source of the smell.

Out of all the flowers on the stand, one caught your eyes. It was a rose in the most beautiful shade of peach and had the rarest emerald green leaves. Your fingers had a mind of their own and decided to meet the petals.

In your mind, vibrant lights flashed and all you saw were irrelevant shapes and figures that made utterly no sense to you. The only thing you made out were the silhouettes of a little girl and a grave. In a mere second, all the colours faded. You blinked a few times to remind yourself where you were and what your were doing. You were completely and utterly under bewilderment.

"Miss? Are you buying that?"

"Oh... Um... Sorry, I didn't bring money. But it's a very beautiful rose." You smiled at the man.

"It is, isn't it?" His eyes melted into the beauty of the flower. "That rose is very rare and hell it costs a lot!"

"I wouldn't be surprised." You chuckled. "Well I should go now, have a nice evening!"