Chapter 12 ✂ The Sidekick

The streets were beautifully hushed with Christmas luminosity even though it was late November. The crispy air nipped at your warm skin. You could smell the marvellous aroma of fresh baked bread. The sweet glittering snowflakes whirled in a gentle storm in the streets. You'd bundled yourself up in the warmest coat with a scarf around your neck and matched your hat with Paige.

"Oh! It's so beautiful!" Your daughter squealed, her chocolate brown eyes pouring with wonder. It was like she was blind all her life, never seeing the beauty of the town. The sky was dark in colour but the lights illuminated your pathway.

This was your big chance to prove your worth. It was Paige's birthday. You remembered it like a prayer since the day you adopted her. It was her twelfth birthday but you wanted to keep it simple till next year, considering it's when she goes into her teen years. You wanted it simple between you and Paige, without anyone else knowing too much after cutting the cake.

"This cake smells divine." You tittered.

"I'm so hungry," she whined playfully glancing down at her hand.

"I think it was really sweet of Henry to give you that card." You genuinely smiled at the girl.

"It's really beautiful. He seemed to be the one of the only person who knew." She heaved a sigh.

A lump grew in your throat. You suppose she did want people to celebrate with her. That would make sense, considering it was her first birthday spent outside of the orphanage. You felt bad for not satisfying your little girl, more to say satisfying the happiness she makes that fuels you.

"Oh well, at least I'll get to spend the night with you." She grinned.

You couldn't help but reflect her grin back. There was a long silence before the girl spoke again. "Mom?"

"Yes, sweetie?"

"What happened to him?"

You glanced down at the girl in bewilderment. "Who are you talking about?"

"Remember the man that took you on a date." She said, "The one who said he was your husband."

"Oh... Jefferson." You plainly stated.

"What happened to him mama? I barely see him anymore. I-I kind of miss him..."

"I miss him too," You muttered underneath your breath inaudibly.

"Oh mama! Look it's a shooting star!" The girl exclaimed from the dreadful silence.

You glanced into the sky to see a trail of glitter behind the comet. "Make a wish darling!"

With that, Paige closed her eyes with her hands held against her chest. She mumbled something under her breath. You did the same and held your breath for a moment. Once you had made your wish and opened your eyes, you smiled wildly at Paige before it gradually faded.

The card from the little girl's hand thrashed violently before drifting through the bitter wind. "No no!" Paige shouted, chasing after it. You pursued the girl with the best of your ability, panting heavily as you came to a dead end in an alleyway.

"I got it!" Paige hollered victoriously holding the card above her head. You laughed lightly to yourself before strolling towards the girl.

"You have to promise me you never do that again. I'm scared you'll jump in front of a car next time."

"Sorry," Paige mumbled lightly, holding the royal blue card to her chest. "It just means a lot to me."

You didn't even have to ask, you knew the card meant more than just a birthday gift. And you definitely knew Henry meant more than just a friend to Paige. Young true love-- so hard to find isn't it? Well as a mother, and a fairly young woman, you had to make sure she didn't hurt herself in the process but you had to let the girl grow and learn on her own after-all.