Chapter 11: Did You Hear?

"Tolkien's so great," Nicole sighed. It was around one in the morning and the girls were all still up, scattered about by one of the bunk beds. "Today, he took me hiking and tomorrow we're gonna go canoeing and have a picnic on the other side of the lake. I'm so excited, we're going to-"

"Yeah, yeah, we get it," Bebe, who was putting ribbons in Nicole's hair rolled her eyes. "Your boyfriend is perfect and romantic and dreamy and lovey dovey and shit."

"Bebe, be nice," Wendy giggled. "Just because you got stuck with a shit boyfriend, doesn't mean you have to be all pissed when romance comes up."

"Yada, yada, yada," Heidi made her hand speak those first words. "Romance is boring."

It took possibly every fiber of Wendy's being not to make herself look like a dork in front of Heidi by jumping up and screaming the words to the wonderful song by 'Los Campesinos!'.

Now it was gonna be in her head all night.

"Aww, I really hope you don't actually think that Heidi," Bebe, gave her a sympathetic look. "There are lots of great guys out there, you just have to find one. It's not your fault that Eric tainted your view on love."

"No it's not, but I let him," Heidi looked mildly disgusted discussing this topic of conversation. "I showed him my vagina."

"So what?" Bebe scoffed. "That was like, forever ago."

"Have you shown Clyde your vagina?" Heidi crossed her arms, gazing up at Bebe, who sat on the bed.

"Like once," Bebe sighed. "I don't even know why he wanted to see it."

"Guys are really weird," Wendy agreed. "What will looking at it do for you? How on earth would that make you 'tingly'?"

Wendy didn't have a whole lot to contribute to the current topic, seeing as her and Stan broke up when they were younger and hadn't even begun to unpack those kinds of feelings yet.

She also didn't have a lot to say because she wondered if maybe she did understand.

Wendy shook that thought from her head real quick.

"Me neither," Nicole shook her head. "Me and Tolkien only talked about... that kind of stuff once and we decided on waiting till we're eighteen."

"Lucky," Bebe sighed dramatically. "Clyde really wants to try and I think it would be nice and all, but I think I heard somewhere that it's illegal."

"I don't know," Heidi hugged her knees to her chest, her muted green pajama bottoms folding over her feet. "It just seems gross to me."

Heidi didn't want to admit that it also scared her quite a lot.

"Do you want to sleep with Clyde?" Nicole tried to face Bebe but Bebe redirected her head so she could continue with the primping. Bebe sighed deeply.

"Yeah. Don't tell him I said this, but I love him a lot and trust him more than almost anyone. Regardless of how stupid he is."

"Huh," Wendy nodded to herself. "cool."

"'Pure of heart, dumb of ass' is what I like to call him," Bebe giggled to herself. "He doesn't like it much though."

"To be fair," Wendy laughed. "I don't think I'd like that much either."

The girls fell into a happy silence. There was no talking, or giggling, but it wasn't awkward, it was almost warm, wich feels like a weird way to describe it, but that's just what it was.