Chapter 13

Juliette

Alastor and I continued to spend most of our days together when we had nothing else to do.

Every day felt a little easier. The air felt lighter.

I ignored the headlines, and avoided reading the papers. The person he is with me isn't the person they say he is.

I've been home for almost a full year now, and this place has never been better. If it had been this calm and docile before, maybe I wouldn't have ever left at all.

Softly, I hummed while I counted out the money we had earned today. The diner was doing well, and my regulars tipped very generously.

Some days, I made an upward of 50 cents in tips.

Smiling, I closed the register and locked it before I wiped everything down with disinfectant.

Suddenly the bell jungled, and I jumped slightly since the sign on the door is flipped to closed. Looking up, I gave whoever entered a friendly smile.

"I'm sorry, but we're–"

Standing there was Alastor, and my words fell short before my smile turned bright and genuine.

I quickly took my apron off and trotted over to him, making him chuckle at my excitement.

"Al! It's good to see you, what're you doing out so late?"

I questioned, titling my head. He simply smiled, reaching out to gently twirl a piece of my hair before he pushed it over my shoulder, smoothing it out.

Heat gathered in my face and I had to keep myself from getting all sappy.

"Your father stopped by my work today and asked if I could escort you home. He said he wouldn't be able to make it, and with all the murders happening he wanted to make sure you were safe."

His smile widened and he seemed rather amused by this, but I brushed it off and focused on my father being too caught up to escort me himself.

That's strange, but knowing him he just wanted to finish a project or something similar.

Shrugging I smiled and went to grab my purse.

Alastor and I made our way down the street after I'd locked up, and I breathed in deeply, allowing my eyes to close as I absorbed the delicate scents of this summer evening.

He was relatively quiet, and calm. He'd occasionally fill me in on something from his day, but other than that we just enjoyed each other's presence.

"You look very lovely tonight, dear."

His sudden statement made me look over at him with a surprised expression. Then my stomach fluttered and I smiled, looking down to hide the blush on my nose.

"Thank you, Alastor... and you look very handsome."

I heard him chuckle softly, the air between us so calm, and it was hard to believe we were two separate souls.

My fingers gently squeezed his arm and I looked up at him with a smile that came directly from my core. Something so genuine it could only be produced around him or my parents.

He smiled back at me and we continued our walk, taking the long route home just so we could spend more time in each other's presence.

Once we finally arrived at my house, I was reluctant to let him go. However, it was only proper, and so I turned to him and gave a small wave goodbye as the door clicked open.

He waved as well and waited until I was safely inside before he turned and made his way back the way we'd come.

I watched out the window with a lovesick smile until I heard my father's voice.