Chapter 15

Alastor

Over the next week or so, if I wasn't at work I was at Juliette's home.

I kept the place clean, and fixed the broken latch on the window shudder.

Occasionally I would gather groceries, and I would keep Juliette's mind occupied when she wasn't with her mother and father.

We would cook together, and some nights she'd fall asleep in my arms on the couch while I read a story out loud by the light of the fireplace.

I offered as much peace as I was able... my mind focused on her and her alone.

To be here with her during this time, I was honored, yet saddened all the same. It was difficult to see her go through so much pain.

Some days were worse than others.

It wasn't very long until the worst day of all arrived.

After my shift I headed to Juliette's house, and as I approached I could see a small figure sitting outside on the steps.

As I drew closer I could hear the sound of crying, and my steps quickened until I was practically running to her.

No...

Not while I wasn't here...

She didn't even look up as I approached her, sobbing into the fabric of an old dress that was clutched in her hands.

I recognized it as the dancing dress she'd worn the night we went out the first time.

Silently I sat next to her, and pulled her close to me. She shifted into my arms without protest, her body feeling as if she wasn't even controlling herself.

Her cries were heavy, and heart-wrenching.

I'd never heard such a sound come from anyone, let alone my little sunshine waitress.

She turned and wrapped her arms around me, crawling into my lap as she continued to wail. Heartbreak was dripping from the sound, the air around us drenched with her sorrow.

I didn't need to say anything. I knew.

So, I let her cry. I let her cry the same way I had cried.

Except she isn't alone. I will not let her be alone, the way I had been alone.

I haven't cried since that day, but hearing her soul shattering screams was breaking my heart bit by bit. I had to swallow the lump in my throat as I rocked her back and forth.

You're not alone... I'm here.

I'll always be here.

~*~

Later that evening, I went with Juliette and her father to the land behind their home.

She stayed close to me, but her features were hollow, the shine in her eyes completely gone.

Her father had carefully wrapped Marie in a clean sheet of canvas, and was carrying her as if she were sleeping.

Even with all the death I've caused, I had a hard time looking at the outline of her body.

I helped Benjamin dig a hole and Juliette sat with her mother.

I would look over occasionally, and see her touching the canvas as if she were petting someone's head.

By the time the hole was deep enough, the sun was hanging low in the sky.

Her father once again took Marie up in his arms and laid her as gently as he could into her final resting place.