Chapter 4: lying in the library

Hailey stirred in her bed. The room was dimly lit, with the sunlight peeking in through the large windows. Blair, Erica, and Grace—were already awake, their eyes heavy with concern.

"Hailey," Blair whispered, "you look exhausted. Didn't you get any sleep last night?"
Hailey sat up, rubbing her temples. "No," she admitted. "My mind has been racing. So much to think about since we arrived at Hogwarts."

"And what's been keeping you up?"
Hailey hesitated, glancing at the window. "Draco," she said finally. "Have you noticed how off he looks?"

The mention of Draco Malfoy caught their attention. A few weeks past, since the awkward encounter with Draco in the common room. But still, Hailey's been keeping an eye on him. Hailey had glimpsed him in the Great Hall, his pale face etched with lines of worry.

"Why are you spying on him?" Grace asked, her voice low. Hailey blushed. "I'm not spying," she protested. "I'm just... concerned. He's always alone these days, and he looks like he's carrying some secret burden or something..." she said, waving her hands dramatically in the air.

The girls exchanged glances. Draco Malfoy was hardly approachable, but Hailey felt drawn to him. She needed to know why he seemed so haunted.

                          ____________

The Hogwarts library was a haven of hushed whispers and ancient knowledge. 

Hailey footsteps muffled by the threadbare carpet, moved silently between the towering bookshelves. The flickering candlelight danced across the spines of countless volumes, And then she saw him.

Draco Malfoy stood at the far end of an aisle, his fingers skimming over the leather-bound covers.
His eyes darted from title to title, urgency etched into his features. Hailey's curiosity flared. What was he searching for? Why did he seem so desperate?

She hesitated, torn between approaching him and remaining hidden. Draco was an enigma a brooding figure. But something about his vulnerability tugged at her heart. Hailey chose to watch, her breath held.

Draco pulled out a slim volume, his eyes scanning the pages with intensity. His brow furrowed, and he flipped through the book as if seeking answers. Hailey wondered what secrets lay within those pages.

As if sensing her gaze, Draco looked up. His silver-gray eyes locked onto hers, and Hailey's pulse quickened. She had been caught "spying", observing, and intruding on his private moment.

"Do you have a problem Groves?" Draco's voice sliced through the silence. Here we go again, with the rude attitude. His annoyance was evident, but Hailey stood her ground.

"No," she replied softly. "I'm just curious. You seemed so eager to find a book. Need any help?"

Draco's jaw tightened. "I'm fine," he snapped. "And my reading choices are none of your concern."

Hailey pressed on, her curiosity outweighing her fear. "Are you okay? You haven't been coming to dinner lately," she said. "And you look, well let's just say...tired."

His eyes bore into hers, and for a moment, Hailey glimpsed vulnerability. "Why do you care?" he muttered. "I don't need your pity."
"But—" Hailey began.
"Curious one," Draco interrupted, his tone softer now. "You don't have to spy on me anymore. I'm fine." And with that, he turned abruptly and stormed out of the library.

Hailey watched him go, her heart heavy. I can't believe he even used the word 'spying' Hailey thought herself. Maybe she really was  spying.