Chapter 27: The cabinet

The castle corridors blurred as Draco pulled Hailey along. They ascended to the seventh floor, where a blank wall stood before them. Then, as if conjured by magic itself, a door materialized. Draco led her inside, and Hailey stepped into a room that defied imagination.

Furniture and books reached toward the ceiling, creating a labyrinth of forgotten knowledge. The air smelled of dust and old parchment. Draco navigated effortlessly, his fingers traced the edges of the tarp, which he pulled down. The tarp concealed an old, mysterious cabinet.

"What is this?" Hailey asked, her curiosity piqued.

"It's a transportation system," Draco confessed. "I've been trying to fix it all year. That's why I've missed so many meals—hoping the teachers wouldn't grow suspicious."

"But it's still not fixed?" Hailey pressed.

Draco's eyes caught the light, their blue depths holding more than mere secrets. "It's complicated," he replied. "This cabinet has a twin in Borgin and Burkes. Since all the castle entrances are sealed, I had to find an alternative way in."

"But why?" Hailey wondered. "You're already here."

Hailey studied Draco's face, and then she realized "This isn't for you, is it? You're trying to sneak someone into the castle."

"Try multiple people," Draco corrected, his shame evident.

"Who?" Hailey demanded.

"My task from Voldemort," Draco confessed. "He wants me to slip Death Eaters into the castle."

"Death Eaters?" Hailey echoed, her world tilting.

Draco nodded. Her eyes darkened, but then they sparkled with determination. "Well, I'll help you fix it."

"I was afraid you'd say that," Draco murmured.

Before she could protest further, Draco silenced her. "Look, you're already too involved. I won't let you do that."

Draco set fire to the world around him, by making dark choices. But he would never ever let the flame touch her. And as long as he can, he will continue to protect her. till she won't let him anymore.

____________

The Room of Requirement became their sanctuary—a place where time blurred, and the world outside ceased to exist.

Over the week, Hailey sat at a corner table, her parchment spread out for homework or a book propped open. But her gaze rarely left Draco.

He worked tirelessly on the ancient cabinet. Draco's frustration hung heavy in the air. Hailey watched him, fascinated by the intensity etched into his features.

For Draco, her presence was both a comfort and a challenge. He had to restrain his temper, keep the darkness at bay. But it wasn't easy. The room seemed to close in on him—walls pressing against his thoughts, memories echoing like ghosts.

He failed repeatedly to fix the cabinet. Each attempt aggravated him, yet he persisted. Hailey's unwavering support kept him going. She didn't ask questions, didn't pry. Instead, she watched, her eyes full of understanding.

Sometimes, hunger gnawed at him. But he pushed it aside. He had a purpose to make his father proud, to fulfill Voldemort's orders. The weight of it all threatened to crush him, yet Hailey's presence was a lifeline.

Draco wondered what she saw when she looked at him, what she saw in him. But it didn't matter now, because Draco's frustration reached its peak, and he lashed out, kicking the cursed thing. Hailey flinched, but her concern masked her shock.

"What's wrong?" she asked, her voice gentle.

"This damn cabinet is doomed," Draco muttered. The room was spinning, and he felt very lightheaded. Draco slid down the side of the cabinet, sinking down into the floor. His face was pale, sweat clinging to his forehead. Hailey knelt beside him, the cold floor forgotten.

"Merlin," she said, brushing her fingers against his skin. "You have a fever."

Draco remained silent, lost in his own turmoil. Hailey pressed further. "Have you eaten at all today?"

He shook his head, and the weight of his exhaustion settled on her shoulders. "Draco, you need a break."

"I can't," he replied, voice trembling. "I have to fix it. I'm running out of time."

"No, Draco," Hailey insisted, pulling him up. She led him to the Slytherin common room. It was empty except for them, because they had an astronomy class tonight, so most students were up on the astronomy tower.

"Stay here. I'll be back in five minutes."she said, and then sprinted off to her dorm.

She returned with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a glass of water. Draco devoured the food, in the most polite way possible. But still his hunger was very evident. Hailey watched, her hand on his shoulder.

"You need to eat," she said softly. "Your mind might be elsewhere, but your body is hungry."

Draco chuckled weakly. "Do you just happen to have a mini kitchen in your dorm room?"

"Well, actually," Hailey confessed, "I raided Grace's food stash. And the glass? It's usually for cleaning my paintbrushes or quills. But don't worry, it's clean."

He smiled, gratitude in his eyes. Within minutes, exhaustion claimed him, and he fell asleep on the couch. Hailey knew she couldn't let him stay there, because students would be returning back to their dorms any minute now.

As the faint glow from the fireplace, softly reflecting on his features of his face, she couldn't help but watch him. she realized that in sleep, he looked almost at peace—a rare respite from the chaos that consumed him.

The common room lay hushed, Hailey sat by Draco on the couch, her gaze fixed on him. His features softened in sleep, the lines of worry smoothed out, leaving behind vulnerability.

She reached out, brushing a stray blonde strand from his forehead. The touch was gentle, as if she feared disturbing the fragile peace that enveloped him.

But reality tugged at her. The common room would soon fill with returning students, their footsteps breaking the stillness. Hailey hesitated, torn between staying and leaving.

Hailey held her breath, the air thick. But then she leaned down, her lips brushing against Draco's ear. "Draco, it's time to wake up."

His eyes fluttered open, warmth flooding his senses. The room blurred, "How long have I been out?" And as he said this, he started to stress all over again.

"Relax," Hailey said, smiling. "Just five minutes."

But she lied. Twenty minutes had slipped by—twenty minutes of her watching him, her gaze unwavering. Draco sat up, disoriented. How could she sit there, staring at him, and not look away?

They both rose from the couch, the silence stretching between them. Draco grappled with the awkwardness of parting ways. Their faces were inches apart, a magnetic pull that defied reason. Hailey reached for him, her hands encircling his waist, and hugged him tightly.

Her warmth seeped through his skin, cocooning him. It was different from anything he'd felt before. His mother's was really the only one who ever hugged him. but this—this was different from that. Hailey's presence was a balm, soothing the jagged edges of his soul.

"Thank you for everything, Hailey," Draco whispered.

She gave him a sweet smile, and he wondered how she managed to be so kind. He pressed a kiss to her cheek— "Good night." He said. Hailey felt her self blush. "Now make sure to actually get some sleep" she said finally. And then they parted ways.