Chapter 10: sweet autumn

The astronomy tower stood tall, its ancient stones echoing secrets whispered by centuries of star-gazers.

Hailey leaned against the parapet, her fingers tracing the rough edges. The night was crisp, and the moon hung like a silver coin in the velvet sky. She loved this place—the solitude, the vastness, the way the stars seemed to listen.

But tonight, her sanctuary was invaded.

Draco stepped onto the tower, his footsteps muffled by the thick cloak of night. Hailey's heart skipped a beat. She hadn't expected anyone else here, especially not him. Not after their last encounter.

"Why are you up here?" Draco's voice cut through the silence, and Hailey jumped. His silver eyes bore into hers, searching for answers.

"None of your business," she snapped, wiping away her tears with her sleeve. "Why do you care?"

Draco leaned against the stone railing, his expression unreadable. "Because you stormed out of your own birthday party. And because you looked upset, and tipsy which isn't the best combo."

Hailey scoffed. "Tipsy, not drunk. There's a difference."

Draco's gaze softened. "I didn't know it was your birthday."

"Yeah, well, neither did I until Blair and Erica decided to throw me a surprise party." Hailey's voice cracked. "someone invited Liam, Draco. Liam—the guy who thinks Quidditch is a contact sport for flirting."

Draco's lips twitched. "And you're mad because of that?"

"It's not just that," Hailey said, her words tumbling out. "I'm tired of pretending. Pretending I don't care about my Muggle father's disapproval. Pretending I'm fine with being the odd one out in Slytherin. Pretending I don't—"

"—love fall?" Draco finished for her.

She blinked. "What?"

"You've been going on and on about autumn, at the party" he said, gesturing to the moonlit courtyard. "The chilliness, the cozy atmosphere—it's your life, you said."

Hailey's cheeks flushed. "Yeah, well, it's easier to talk about leaves and pumpkins than—"

"—your feelings?" Draco's voice was gentle. "You're not alone in feeling out of place, Hailey."

She looked away. "What do you know about it?"

He stepped closer. "More than you think."

They sat in silence, the moon their only witness. Draco's hand brushed hers, and Hailey's heart raced. "I guess I'll have to get you a gift," he murmured.

"No, you really don't have to," she whispered.

"But what if I want to?" His lips curved into a half-smile.
"You're a lot more talkative when you're tipsy, you know."

She smiled at him. "Well, this is a far different Hailey from that night. That Hailey was just bored, but this Hailey is well..."

But their stolen moment was shattered when Blair burst onto the tower. "Hailey, where the hell have you been?"

Blair's eyes widened when she saw Malfoy. "Oh, Merlin. Did I interrupt something?"
"No no, not at all" Hailey said somewhat embarrassed.

"How about we get you inside" said Blair kindly.
"Here, let me help" offered Draco helping Hailey to her feet.

"Happy birthday Hailey" he whispered in her ear. Which sent Shivers down her spine.

Blair put her arm around her, but Hailey turned back around toward Draco. "Are you coming?" She asked.

"I think I'm gonna stay out here for a while" Draco said, giving her a slight smile.

And he watched the two girls leave the tower.