Chapter 34: The ledge

Authors note: This chapter might contain some triggering content, so please read at your own discretion.

Hailey's heart raced as she sat up, sweat clinging to her skin. She glanced at her trembling hands, "It was all a dream..." She thought to herself.

Then, a knock on the door—the same ominous sound that had haunted her nightmare. Hailey hesitated, her breath catching. But this was reality, not the twisted realm of her subconscious. She opened the door, expecting Theo, but instead, Blaise stood there.

"Hey," she greeted him, her voice shaky.

Blaise shifted nervously. "I know you're probably still mad at me, but..." His words trailed off as he noticed the fear etched on Hailey's face. "Is everything okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," Hailey stammered. "What did you come here for?"

Blaise hesitated. "Um, sorry. I came to ask if Draco is with you." He peeked into the dorm, scanning the room.

"No, he's not," Hailey replied. "I thought he was with you."

Blaise's expression shifted to panic. "Blaise why?" Hailey pressed.

"Well, he still hasn't come back to the dorm," Blaise explained. "It's late, and I just thought he might be with you. But if he's not..."

Hailey's intuition flared. "I'll go look for him," she offered. "I have a feeling I know where he is anyway."

Blaise's relief was palpable. "That would be so helpful. Thank you. Let me know if you find him."

"I'll try my best," Hailey promised, closing the door. As Blaise whispered his gratitude, she couldn't shake the eerie feeling that reality was mirroring her nightmare.

The clock mocked Hailey as she glanced at it—10:08 PM. "Sleep till eight," she repeated in her mind, Blair's special tea with the Draught of Living Death potion had left her both mad and grateful—mad because she overslept much longer than Blair promised, but grateful for the much-needed rest.

Hailey slipped into a black short dress—it wasn't formal, nor was it casual. She didn't care about fashion right now; she just needed to put on something other than her Slytherin robes. Her long brunette waves cascaded messily around her face, but appearances were the least of her concerns.

Shoes on, she stepped out of her dorm room. The corridors of Hogwarts stretched before her, and her thoughts raced. Draco's words echoed in her mind, and fear gnawed at her insides. Whatever was coming, she knew she had to help him. No matter the situation, no matter the risks she wanted to be there for him.

Hailey suspected Draco would be in only one place, so that's where she went. She climbed the spiral staircase leading up to the astronomy tower. The chill in the air didn't bother her; her focus was on reaching the top. As she ascended the steps slowly and quietly, her heart raced.

When she reached the top, her heart broke. There, on the ledge, sat a blonde figure, feet dangling off the edge. Hailey had seen Draco up here before, but never like this. She'd witnessed multiple students on the tower, but none had gone to this extent. It was dangerous—falling from this height meant death within minutes. Yet Hailey knew Draco wasn't being reckless; he was sitting there with a purpose.

At first, she wondered if he might be drunk, but she had never seen Draco Malfoy in that state. She'd been to multiple Slytherin parties, but never had she ever seen him drink more than two drinks. If he willingly came up here by himself, the situation must have gotten much worse than Hailey realized.

She tried to put herself in Draco's position. Yes, she wouldn't blame him for wanting to jump off the astronomy tower. The weight of his burden, the darkness that clung to him—it was too much for anyone to bear, Especially not a 16-year-old boy.