Chapter 18: Home sweet home

Hailey's childhood home stood silent, its walls echoing memories she'd rather forget. The air smelled of old wood. She'd returned for Christmas break, but the warmth she sought remained elusive. Only one thing excited her—the prospect of seeing Hannah.

Her room welcomed her like an old friend. The bedspread, the posters on the walls—they whispered secrets from years past. Hailey unpacked, her fingers brushing against familiar trinkets. But déjà vu clung to the air, as if she's never seen her room before, but yet it was so familiar.

Dinner was a tense affair. Her father, sat across from her. "How has school been?" he asked, his eyes searching hers.

Hailey scoffed. "Like you really care."

"Stop with the attitude," he snapped.

She hesitated, then spilled her thoughts in a rush. "It's been great. Good grades, interesting classes. The teachers—"

"Have you actually learned anything useful?" he interrupted.

"With all due respect," Hailey retorted, "nothing you'd understand."

Her father's eyes darkened. "You know I've been around witches longer than you've been born."

"Mom," Hailey corrected. "That's one witch."

He sighed. "Just eat your food."

As they ate, Hailey's mind raced. She longed for Hannah's laughter, And so, after dinner, she mustered her courage.

"Quick question," Hailey said, her tone polite. "Can Hannah come over?"

Her father glanced at her. "After you do the dishes."

Hailey nodded, her heart heavy. As she scrubbed plates, she wondered if home would ever feel like more than a collection of walls and memories. Maybe, just maybe, Hannah's arrival would chase away the shadows that clung to her childhood home.

———-

The knock on the door shattered the silence that had settled over Hailey's home. She flung the door open, and there stood Hannah her best friend. The sight of Hannah's wavy strawberry blonde hair brought a rush of warmth.

"Hi!" Hannah exclaimed, pulling Hailey into a tight hug. "I've missed you so much."

"Me too," Hailey replied, her voice choked with emotion. "is it just me or has your hair got even longer." Hailey teased.

They stepped inside, and Hailey led Hannah to the kitchen, to do what they do best, make tea.

"So tell me everything that's happened," Hannah urged, her eyes wide with curiosity.

Hailey hesitated, then spilled the story of Blair's accident in potions class. "She got a shard of glass stuck in her hand," she explained.

Hannah winced. "Oh my God, that's terrible. Is she all right?"

As if on cue, Hailey's father walked in from the other room. His stern expression betrayed his eavesdropping. "Tell me what happened now," he demanded.

"It was just a mistake, Dad," Hailey said, her patience thin. "Blair's fine."

He shook his head. "I've told you, Hailey. That school is dangerous. I don't want you going back there."

"What do you mean? I'm not not going back next year," Hailey retorted, her disbelief turning to anger.

"No," he clarified, "I mean I don't want you going back next term."

Hailey's world tilted. "What?" she whispered. "But—"

"I can't do this right now," she snapped. "I just got back home. Let me hang out with my friend in peace."

She grabbed Hannah's hand, and they walked out of the kitchen, leaving her father behind. Hailey shot him the dirtiest look possible, a silent rebellion against the fractured bonds that held them.

____________

The soft glow of Hailey's room enveloped them as they sat on the bed, their friendship a comforting refuge. Hannah's presence eased the tension that still lingered from her father's disapproval.

"Sorry about that," Hailey murmured, her gaze fixed on her hands. "It was so embarrassing."

Hannah shook her head. "You don't have to apologize for him. He's the one who should be sorry."

Hailey's anger flared. "I know. I just hate when he does that."

"Do you really think he really won't let you go back?" Hannah asked, her eyes searching Hailey's.

Hailey shrugged. "There really isn't a lot he can do to stop me. If he wanted me not to go, I would've stopped years ago."

"Then just ignore him," Hannah advised.

They brewed tea—their familiar ritual—and settled in. Hannah's grin was infectious. "So tell me, my young witch, what else has been happening?"

Hailey hesitated, then spilled her thoughts. "Well, there's this boy..." She glanced at Hannah, who nudged her to continue.

"It's complicated," Hailey admitted.

"Every boy is complicated. Keep going," Hannah teased.

Hailey took a deep breath. "I don't know if he actually likes me. One day he'll ignore me, and the next..."

"But?" Hannah prompted.

"It's just—I feel bad for him," Hailey confessed. "He seems so depressed lately. I want to help, but he isn't letting me."

Hannah raised an eyebrow. "Giving all of my experiences with young wizards..." Hannah teased, "I'd say just give him time. He'll warm up to you eventually."

Her kindness touched Hailey. "It's so nice to be back with you," she said, giving her friend a genuine smile.

"I know," Hannah replied. "I was almost starting to get a bit lonely."

And so they talked, their laughter  filling the room until Hannah had to go home. As Hailey watched her friend leave, she realized that sometimes, being home can really be a good thing.