Chapter 29: The betrayal

Hailey sat hunched over her Transfiguration textbook, her quill scratching notes into her parchment. The upcoming exam weighed heavily on her mind, but there was something else—an unspoken tension that hung in the air.

Daisy, her former History of magic partner in class, had been acting peculiar lately. Once inseparable, they now orbited each other like distant moons. Hailey couldn't quite put her finger on it, but Daisy's presence felt like a shadow, always lurking nearby.

And then, Daisy appeared. Her footsteps were hesitant, her eyes darting around the library. Hailey looked up, her curiosity piqued. "Hey, Hailey," Daisy said, her voice barely audible.

"What's up, Daisy?" Hailey replied, setting her quill aside. Daisy's nervousness was contagious.

Daisy took a deep breath. "I wanted to talk. About Draco."

Hailey's heart skipped a beat. Draco why him? "What about him?" she asked, her annoyance evident.

Daisy hesitated, stumbling over her words. "Well, um... someone set me up to this. To ask you about Draco."

Hailey's brow furrowed. "Set you up? Who?"

Daisy lowered her gaze. "Harry Potter."

The name hit Hailey like a Bludger to the chest. Harry—the Boy Who Lived, the Chosen One. Why would he involve Daisy in this? "Wait," Hailey said, her anger rising. "So Harry sent you to spy on me? To ask about Draco?"

Daisy nodded, her eyes wide. "Yes. He said it was important."

Hailey clenched her fists. "Important? This is my personal life! Draco and I..." She trailed off, unable to articulate the relationship they have.

Daisy shifted uncomfortably. "I'm sorry, Hailey. I didn't want to betray your trust."

"But you did," Hailey snapped. "And Harry manipulated you into it." She stood abruptly, her chair scraping against the stone floor. "He has no right to invade other peoples privacy."

Hailey's resolve hardened. "Well, I'm going to find Harry and give him a piece of my mind." She stormed out of the library, leaving Daisy behind.

As she marched through the castle corridors, Hailey's anger fueled her steps. Harry Potter might be a hero, but he had crossed a line. No one—especially not the Chosen One—had the right to meddle in her heart's affairs.

In the Great Hall, she spotted Harry sitting with Ron and Hermione. His glasses glinted in the candlelight, and for a moment, she hesitated. But then she remembered how fragile Draco is right now, and how this can ruin everything.

And so, with determination burning in her chest, Hailey approached the Gryffindor table. "Harry," she said, her voice unwavering, "we need to talk."

"In private," Hailey snapped, her voice low and intense. "Now."

Harry's green eyes widened. He pushed his half-eaten plate away and stood, following Hailey out of the Great Hall. Ron, ever clueless, watched them go. "Who is that?" he asked Hermione.

Hermione's expression turned stern. "That's Hailey Groves."

Ron raised an eyebrow. "And why does she look like she's about to hex Harry?"

Hermione sighed. "Harry did something. Something that's made her really mad, obviously"

Ron chuckled. "What did Harry do this time? Steal her chocolate frogs?"

"It's not funny," Hermione said, her gaze following Hailey's retreating figure. "Now shut up, and eat your food." Hermione ordered. "No need to be rude." Ron said and continued eating.

Hermione glanced back at the entrance of the hall, where Hailey and Harry had disappeared. She was genuinely worried for her friend.

Harry followed Hailey out of the Great Hall. The dimly lit corridor seemed to close in on them as Hailey faced Harry, her arms crossed over her chest. The air crackled with tension, and Harry shifted uncomfortably. He hadn't expected this confrontation, but now he had no choice but to face the consequences of his actions.

"Harry," Hailey's voice was low, her eyes unyielding, "why did you send Daisy to spy on me?"

Harry's panic was palpable. "Oh, so you know," he stammered.

"Yes, I do," Hailey snapped. "Did you really think you could get away with this. Daisy is an innocent, naïve girl, and just because she's in Gryffindor, doesn't mean you can manipulate her to do anything you want!"

Harry's gaze dropped to the floor. "I just needed information about Draco," he mumbled.

"What kind of information?" Hailey pressed. "What do you mean?"

Harry hesitated, then blurted out, "Over the year, I've seen you and Draco get close. So I told Daisy to befriend you and get me answers about him."

Hailey's mind raced. She knew something was off about a Gryffindor girl being so obsessed with a Slytherin. "Harry," she said, her frustration mounting, "I don't understand why you always suspect Draco of something. Why can't you just act like mature humans for once?"

"You want to know what I suspect?" Harry's voice was grave.

"What?" Hailey replied sarcastically. She knew where this was heading.

"I don't know if you're going to want to hear this," Harry said, "but I think... Malfoy is a Death Eater."

The corridor fell silent. Hailey's heart clenched. She knew Draco's secret, but she wasn't willing to share it—especially with Harry Potter. So she decided to bluff. "You're joking," she said.

"I'm dead serious," Harry insisted. "You have to stay away from him. He's dangerous."

Hailey's anger flared. "You know what? I'm so done with this. Draco is not a Death Eater. He's just a boy trying to survive in a world where it's far too easy to do his worst. So leave him alone."

And with that, she turned on her heel, leaving Harry stranded in the corridor.

To be continued...