37. watergate!

WATERGATE!                          

WATERGATE!

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ While they walk to Skull Rock, Robin is apparently still upset at Gina, leaving her to walk by herself, trying to drown out Steve and Dustin's bickering about compasses and directions, rolling her eyes when they start moving in the opposite direction.

"Bada bing, bada boom. There she is, Henderson," Steve gloats as they finally make it to Skull Rock. "Skull Rock. In your face, man. In your stupid, cocky little face."

Deciding to have some fun, Gina starts to pick on Dustin as well after he starts denying that he's wrong. "How does it feel to be wrong, Dusty? Can't handle it?" she says, her bottom lip jutting out, while pushing him slightly on the shoulder. Failing to come up with a better name, Gina feebly calls him a butthead, not her best, but not terrible.

"I concur," a voice says from behind Gina, making her jump almost a mile. "You, Dustin Henderson, are a...total butthead," who Gina now knows as Eddie says with a smirk, putting his hand on Gina's shoulder, who is still recovering from the scare.

Dustin lets out a sigh of relief, "Jesus we thought you were a goner," he pants, pushing Gina out of the way and pulling Eddie into a hug.

"Me too, man," Eddie replies, burying his face in Dustin's shoulder. "Me too."

The rest of the group starts to trickle in, and without anyone having to say anything, Eddie starts to tell the story, everyone listening intently.

Eddie sits down on the ground, surrounded by beer bottles and other trinkets. He takes a deep breath before he starts to talk. "When I got to the shore, I tried calling you guys, but, uh,"—he takes  a sip from a flask—"my walkie was busted, man. Drenched. So, uh, I did the thing that I do now, apparently. I ran."

"Do you know what time this was?" Nancy asks, already acting as though she could solve it. "The attack?"

Eddie nods, taking off his watch. "Yeah, no, I...I know exactly what time it was." He throws the watch over to Nancy, trying to ignore the fact that it hit her in the face. "My walkie wasn't the only thing that got soaked."

Nancy looks at the face of the watch. "9:27."

"Same time our flashlights went kablooey," Robin points out.

Steve just looks confused. "Which means what, exactly?"

Gina turns to Steve and gives him a look. "Take a guess, Sherlock."

Despite Gina's jokes, Nancy actually answers Steve's question, trying to hide her annoyance with Gina. "That the surge of energy was Vecna attacking Patrick."