23. the mind flayer

THE MIND FLAYER

THE MIND FLAYER

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ The kids wait until the movie is over to leave the bathroom, Dustin claiming it was blending in.

Once they hear the chatter outside, Dustin peeks his head out of the door. "And..." he says, waiting for the right moment. "Blend."

They all file out of the bathroom, nobody batting an eye.

"Well, shit, that worked." Erica smiles as she looks at Dustin.

"Of course it worked," Dustin says. "Now we just have to get on the bus with the rest of these plebes, and home sweet home, here we come."

Steve makes a face. "Uh, Dustin?"

"What?"

"Yeah, we might not wanna go to your house," Steve says through his teeth.

"Why?"

"Well, I might've told them your full name."

Dustin looks at Steve in shock, or maybe it was disappointment. "What is wrong with you?" he whisper yells.

Steve gives an incredulous look. "Dude, I was drugged."

"So?"

"So?" Steve repeats.

"So, you resist. You tough it out. You tough it out like a man."

"He's not a man," Gina scoffs. "More like a little boy."

Steve hits Gina on the shoulder. "That was so not funny, man."

"Guys?" Robin speaks as she holds Gina and Steve back.

Gina looks to see Russians. The Russians stopping everyone who leaves the mall, surely looking for them. And ready to stop them.

"Abort," Dustin says as a Russian with a black ponytail locks eyes with the five. "Abort!" he yells, drawing more attention as Gina and Robin interlock hands and run the opposite direction, weaving through crowds of people.

They get to the escalators, only to see they've been turned off and blocked. Steve thinks quickly and slides down the center, everyone following after him.

Once everyone is on the ground level, Gina searches for a place to hide, they can't run anymore.

They all jump behind a counter of a food place before the Russians can see. Gina shuts her eyes tight, still holding onto Robins hand. The kids all try not to breathe, literally and metaphorically.