33. oh, fuck

OH, FUCK

OH, FUCK

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ "Max, Max!" Steve shouts as he runs to catch up with Gina, Max, and Stephanie. "Seriously, I'm not joking, okay? I'm not driving you anywhere."

"Then I'll drive," Gina rolls her eyes, turning her head to look at Steve as she continues walking.

Max doesn't stop walking. "Steve, if you think I'm going to spend what is likely the last day of my life in the armpit that is Mike Wheeler's basement, then you're of your mind. So either take me where I need to go or you're gonna have to tie me down, which is technically kidnapping of a minor. And if I live to see another day, Steve, I swear to God, I will prosecute."

Max pulls on the handle, finding out the door is locked. "Open the door."

Steve looks incredulous. "Uh, no."

"Come on, give me the keys," Gina says, holding her hand out to Steve.

Max squints her eyes at Steve. "I know a good lawyer."

Steve presses his lips together and reluctantly pulls out the keys from his pocket. Gina reaches for them. "Not you," Steve says as he pulls them away. "Not in the BMW."

Gina tries to not look surprised and plays it off, wiping her hands on her jeans. "Fine, I'll drive my own car."

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ Gina follows Steve's car as he turns again, trying to ignore the Roane Hill Cemetery sign. That's where Billy is.

Steve's car stops and Max immediately gets out, another brown envelope in her hand. Gina watches as Stephanie bolts after her. Gina gets out of her car and heads toward Stephanie once her and Max finish talking. She sits on the hood of Steve's BMW, keeping her eyes fixed on Max as she sits in front of Billy's headstone.

Gina notices Stephanie's leg bouncing as she looks from her watch and then back at Max. She puts her hand on Stephanie's shoulder to get her attention. "She's gonna be fine."

"I know, I'm just worried," Stephanie sighs, keeping her eyes locked on Max.

"Nancy and Robin better have this figured out before something bad happens," Dustin mumbles almost to himself as he shakes his head, mindlessly switching through the channels on his walkie.

"What do you mean 'something bad'?" Stephanie says, her eyes wide as she stares at Dustin.

Dustin opens and closes his mouth a few times, deciding on what to say. "Well—just...in—in theory. If anything happens, Victor Creel knows the answer."