26. can't breathe

CAN'T BREATHE

CAN'T BREATHE

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ Gina Hargrove sighs as she steps outside to front door, ignoring whatever her father is yelling at her about.

It's the last day of school before spring break and Gina couldn't be more relieved, school just is not her thing. Robin offered to pick her up, saying Steve wouldn't mind and they all could hang out like they used to during summer, but Gina isn't the same after what happened.

Her dad completely broke down, moving across town, getting away from any reminder of Billy. He became more aggressive, hitting instead of yelling. Gina didn't know what to do, so she ended up getting involved with drugs and alcohol, anything to take the pain away. The school noticed this and immediately put her into counseling sessions with the school counselor, Gina skipping to smoke outside as often as she could.

She and Robin are still dating, although Gina sometimes finds it difficult to care about dating right now, there are more important things for her to worry about.

Once Gina arrives at school and parks, she sees everyone being led into the gym. Shit. She forgot about the pep rally.

Gina deciding it's too early for all the excitement, she goes around the side of the building, finding a bench behind the school. She bounces her leg up and down and picks at her cuticles, deep enough to draw blood. She winces at the pain, seeing the blood pool around her nail. It's what she deserved. Billy bled out and she didn't do anything about it. It's only fair. As her breathing gets faster, she reaches in her pocket for a cigarette and her lighter. It's the only thing that helps when she gets like this. When she thinks about Billy too much. After a few minutes, Gina's breathing slows to a normal pace as she finally calms down.

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇ Gina tries to avoid eye contact with Ms. Kelley. Today is not a good day to be open about her feelings.

"A 43 in chemistry and 52 in algebra," Ms. Kelley says, her eyes on Gina's report cards.

Gina just bites her lip and picks at her nails.

"You know, Regina,"

"Gina." Gina almost immediately cuts her off.

Ms. Kelley gives a sincere smile. "Right, I apologize. Gina, it will be very hard to find a college to accept you due to your grades. It's the final semester and you've managed to fail every quarter.

Gina sighs out of annoyance. "Well, it's not like I have the money to go anyways."

"Why's that?"