Fourteen

Song: Me And The Devil- Soap&Skin

AN: Y'all. The writers block is so real right now. I'm so sorry for the short chapters. As soon as I get hit with inspiration, I'll pop off some more...

The Witch

The Witch

I stood alone in the center of an ornate ballroom, surrounded by dark walls laced with gold. The pristinely polished black marble beneath my feet reflected the image of a huge golden chandelier lit with the flames of hundreds of candles.

Before me stood a dais. On it, sat a pile of bones constructed into what looked to be a chair— no. A throne.

Behind it, carved into a wall of stone, was a huge engraving that depicted what looked like the story of the Fall. A male crashing down from the stars, wings disintegrating as he descended. His body was engulfed in flame. Watching from above the clouds were thirteen beings, all of them pointing down at the fallen star with looks of disgust and contempt on their faces.

And his face was twisted into one of anguish. It stirred something in my chest.

A voice spoke from all around me, my body stiffening as I searched the room from where I thought it had originated from. Only no one stood there.

So you've finally come to me, my dear.

I kept looking around cautiously.

"Who are you?"

The presence seemed to purr in delight.

You know who I am. It's my blood that runs through your veins. Use your senses and find this to be true...

I stepped towards the dais, each step grew heavier with dread. The closer I came, the louder the silence became. The sound of my pulse became deafening as I approached the bones before me. My blood sang in answer to its nearness.

This vision, whatever it was, was nothing like what I've experienced before. This was not a vision of the future, nor of the past.

This vision simply was.

Have you guessed yet?

I stepped onto the platform and the bones ignited into flame. I nearly fell backwards in horror at the sudden flame that almost seemed to reach out towards me.

Once the flames calmed, I stepped toward the throne again. There was no heat to these flames. They felt like a cool summer breeze against my skin.

Take it. Take what is yours.

I frowned.

But my body moved to sit upon the throne of flaming bones anyway. My clothes burnt away but my skin remained untouched. Slowly my skin began to shift as the flames licked across the surface of it.

Horror clawed up from my lungs as I shed my human skin for something else entirely. Golden sun kissed skin turned the color of a midnight sky that shimmered gold with each lash of flame I received. I watched as my nails became razor blades beneath my skin.