Seventeen

Song: No Church In The Wild- JAY-Z, Kanye, Frank Ocean, The-Dream

AN: The one where the hunter becomes the hunted 🫣

The Shadow

I slipped on the simple white mask that covered the top half of my face. Then, tugging at the lapels of my tux, I sat beside Levi and let out a heavy sigh.

"I don't suppose you'd want to wake up and take my invitation," I said lazily. "I don't know how much more of this I can handle."

I was happy to see that his replies were much quicker. We could almost have full conversations. It was more like texting than anything, but I was never left wondering for long.

I M  G O O D.   A L L   Y O U   B U D.

I snorted. "She's a menace now, Levi. It's almost not even fair."

I   J U S T  F E E L  S O O O O
T E R R I B L E. P O O R  B A B Y.

He added some other taps, that I assumed were his insults.

"I'm not even going to ask what you just called me," I chuckled.

J U S T  K N O W  I T  W A S   V E R Y  
C R E A T I V E

I couldn't stop the smile that spread across my face.

"What's it like in there," I asked quietly.

This response took a second. I squeezed his hand gently, reassuring him that I was here to listen. Then he started his response.

L O N E L Y.

I swallowed the guilt.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "I was out of line and out of control. I shouldn't have sent you in—"

F I N I S H  T H I S  A N D  I' L L  C A L L  I T
E V E N.

I nodded, inhaling deeply. "Yea. I'll finish this."

I squeezed his hand and and stood up, straightening the tux again.

"If you can try and gather some ID's on some of these pricks, I'd be very appreciative," I sighed.

He tapped his index once on the bed in acknowledgement. Then he performed a new gesture.

I shook my head, fighting the laughter that was about to erupt from deep within my chest.

His middle finger unfurled from his hand just enough to know it was very intentional.

"Fuck you too, asshole," I sighed, allowing some of that laughter out. "I'll be back to see what you've found later."

I shut the door behind me and replaced the painting over it. Then I went to the mirror and stood before it with a critical eye— not a single part of me would be out of place tonight. I would not give these people any sort of weapon to use against me.