I'm Fine

"And you're the one to do it," Sam said, crossing his arms.

"Why?" You asked.

"Because he's comfortable around you, he's... himself. You're the safest option at this point..." Steve said, a glimpse of hope in his eyes.

You sighed and nodded, agreeing to be the one to let the assassin out of his cage. You walked down to the room where the soldier resided, standing by the door.

"Hey, you ready to come out?" You asked, glancing at the man as he lay on his bed.

He looked at you with a suspicious look, as he sat up, his tags dangling from his neck.

"I know the others don't want you to run away, Steve really misses you. You were his best friend, and he just wants to help you. But if you feel uncomfortable, you can leave, I'll make sure of that," you said, keeping the last part just above a whisper so that the others couldn't hear.

You took a deep breath and eyed the man as you typed the pass code into the control panel, the door sliding open.

He slowly got up and walked towards the door, glancing at you as he stepped out into the small hallway.

"Thank you..." He said, as you closed the door behind him.

"You're welcome, Bucky," you said as you led him out of the room and into the hall.

As you both made it up the stairs, you saw the three men waiting in the large room, the light from the large windows outlining their figures. You were a little nervous that Bucky would just turn around and dart out the doors, but you had to place trust in him before he could trust you.

"Hi Buck..." Steve said, his face seemed to glow.

"Steve," Bucky said, holding his flesh hand out to the supersoldier.

Steve took his hand shaking it with his firm grip. They stood there for a moment, looking at each other as the room stay silent. Something was still off, Bucky recognized Steve but it was still like they were strangers. He was distant when he said his name, and Steve seemed to notice it as well.

"You don't really remember me do you?" Steve asked, sounding crushed.

"I remember seeing you, I just....don't understand..." He admitted, letting go of Steve's hand.

"That's alright...We'll work on it..." Steve responded with a smile laced with disappointment.

"Here, we'll show you to your room," Sam said with a suspicious expression.

You, Sam, and Steve walked Bucky down the hall and stopped just in front of an open door. It was almost exactly like your own room you had slept in last night, only a little bigger. The walls were bare, aside from the large window which provided a wonderful view of New York. Bucky walked in, inspecting his new environment.

"There are some clothes for you and a bathroom to get washed up in. We'll leave you to get situated," Sam said as you and Steve walked out into the hall, closing the door behind you three.

You all made back into the main room to see Tony gathering random parts from the room. You all sat on the couch and began to discuss the situation.

"He is only seeing his memories, he's not really remembering," Steve injected.

"We'll work on it, we need to take baby steps."

"What we need to do is check out his arm," Tony said, wiping grease off his hands with a piece of cloth.

The team discussed this, back and forth, if it was too risky, would Bucky actually let Tony anywhere near his arm. But because it was Hydra, there had to be something inside that you all didn't know about. Perhaps that's how they were able to keep him as an obedient killer, he had to have it out.

"Wait, let's give him a minute. He just got out, let's treat him like a normal person, that's what he seems to respond best to," you interjected.

Just as you finished, you saw the three men look behind you, causing you to quickly turn around. Bucky had just stepped in, his hair damp from his shower and he had changed as well. He walked over to you all and stood there, unsure what to say.

"How was the shower?" You asked, trying to break the silence.

"Fine."

"Right, make yourself at home Buck," Steve said gesturing around the room.

Bucky looked around the room before walking over to the bar, grabbing a glass and a bottle of whiskey from behind the counter. The three men went about their business as you walked over.

"I don't suppose there's a coke back there," You said, grabbing a seat next to Bucky.

"I don't think so..."

Silence entered the air around you once more, it was both pleasant and awkward.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Come on you can't be brooding about not-"

"I said I'm fine."

You didn't respond, you just sat in silence with the man lost in time.