Ch 3

(W)

---------------

My throat tightened as I felt small pinpricks of tears, and I staggered as I stood up, using the wall for support. A few steps away from me I could see the twinkling silver of the ring through my blurry vision. I took small steps towards it, bending down to get it. I looked at it in my hands as tears made soft trails of wetness on my cheeks. I balled my hand in frustration, and shoved the ring in my pockets.

I don't need you.

I repeated it over and over in my head like a broken record, but my tears still streamed freely. I hastily wiped my face with my sleeve, and started walking down the hallway again. I realized with a cold chill that I automatically knew where my room was supposed to be. Today was exceptionally horrendous.

I made it to a door, brown wood like the rest of them, and tentatively placed my hand on the brass doorknob. Behind the door, was my partner, who I could confirm was not a certain asslicker from earlier. I swallowed my doubt, turning the doorknob slowly, the metal cold against my hand.

The space behind the door was strangely normal compared to everything else in the world. The walls were a baby blue you'd see on a newborn child, the floor was a soft yellow color, a few blue rugs strewn around. In the center where two identical beds, both with a deeper blue colored bedsheets. In Between the two beds was a nightstand of a brown color, and a small gold lamp on it. On the left wall was a door i guessed led to the kitchen.

What I didn't realize, was a person on one of the bunk beds, and apparently she hadn't noticed me either. The first thing i noticed was the book in her hands. It was made of brown leather from what i could see, and in small gold print letters read "Guilds". From that i could easily deduce this person was looking for a guild to join, which actually seemed like a good idea. More people to progress in the game with, a faster route to escape. I let my eyes stray from the book to the person herself.

Her hair was curled and a light brown color, with a few blonde streaks which i guessed were dyed. Atop her eyes were black glasses, and they looked like they were sliding down her nose as her eyes rapidly scanned the pages of the book. She was wearing what looked like to be a purple long sleeved shirt, and it looked a bit wrinkled. Her jeans were a darker blue colors, matching the bedsheets. As I examined her, I didn't notice her eyes wander over to me from the book in her hands.

Her eyes met mine, and I froze, my anticipation to this confrontation gone.

Her eyes seemed to soften a little, which i found strange.

"Helen, It's me, Wendy. It looks like we're partners.." Her voice was familiar, and i almost didn't filter what she had said.

The statement warmed me, because atleast one thing had been done right today. I smiled a little, the earlier events being shoved to the back of my mind.

A cleared my throat a little, and spoke.

"Ah, I'm so glad! I thought I was going to get someone I didn't know. Thank God its you."

She smiled, putting the Guild book down. She stood up from the bunk bed, and, to my surprise ran up and gave me a soft hug.

"I know you were crying, the tear stains are still there. We can talk about it if you want, if not, I'll go beat up whoever caused you tears."

She whispered, and I giggled. Wendy was a small, yet incredibly violent person.

"Nah. I dont care anymore, they're a total asslicker anyways. We dont have time for hoes."

I said lightly, and i felt the silver marriage ring against my back pocket.

* * * * * *

Later into the night, both Wendy and I had showered and ate of what was in the fridge. Despite this being virtual I still felt hunger. Weird.

After we ate, we looked at the guild book again, and ending up deciding to join a guild called Eximious. We both submitted our applications virtually, and a blue screen popped up, reading, "Your acceptance will be notified in the morning."

After that Wendy rolled of the bunk bed onto the floor, and climbed into the other one, saluting me before she closed her eyes and started snoring softly. I laughed to myself, and decided to look out the window next to my bed. The scenery outside was beautiful, the plant life outside glowing in the soft moonlight.

A thought hit me, and i reached for the silver ring on the nightstand. I rolled it using my thumb and pointer finger, and it twinkled on the moonlight again. I smirked a little, an idea coming to me.

I opened the window a bit, grabbed the ring, and threw it outside.

Fuck you.

After that, I bundled myself into the bed sheets and turned the the lamp off, sleep taking over me quite quickly.

* * * * * *

The following morning, I expected many things, however what I didn't expect was to be woken abruptly by Wendy's sudden cursing of "Oh fuck no".