Ch 8

(H)

---------------

"Hey, Conor? Haru? I heard you guys talking, are you awake? Wanna come out and play cards?" Alex's voice sounded muffled through the door.

My previous words were still caught in my throat. I never felt this kind of paralysis before, it was frustrating. My body wasn't cooperating with my mind. Come on, I can easily lower my voice and sound like a guy. Come on, Helen. God dammit...

"No," Conor called over his shoulder. "Haru had a bad dream, that's all."

"Really? Do you need me to bring a glass of water?" Concern seemed to invade Alex's voice.

"No, it's alright. Hope you guys have fun, we're gonna head back to bed."

"Alright, goodnight." His tone was slightly suspicious but dismissive.

"Goodnight."

When the lights in the hallway turned off, Conor reached over to turn on the lamp. I winced, my eyes redialating to adjust to the sudden light. I desperately clawed at my face defensively.

"Oh my god," my voice wavered. "No, no... this can't be happening..." Tears blurred my vision, then pooled over my cheeks. I'm so ugly, I'm ashamed. I thought being covered up as a guy would help. I was so reassured.

"Hey," Conor furrowed his eyebrows. He stood up and walked towards me. "Calm down, Haruㅡ"

His eyes widened as he tumbled towards me, his light brown hair and green eyes glittering in the florescent presence of light.

I fell backwards, grunting as a sudden heavy weight was on me.

"Conor, are you okay? Did you get hurt? I heard a thump."

Conor's head was beside mine, he was facing down.

"...I think I hurt my forehead." His head then hovered over mine.

"Oh my god..." I grabbed his face to keep him in place. "Your forehead's bleeding!"

The slamming of a door interrupted my sentence. My head snapped to the side. I was shocked when I found myself staring into crystal blue eyes.

Seth stormed over instantly, clutching his hands at Conor's shirt collar and dragged him up.

"What the fuck were you doing with Helen?" Seth's jaw clenched as he demanded through gritted teeth.

"We didn't doㅡ" Conor started, trembling.

"You can't fucking say you didn't do anything when I found you in that position with her half naked!" His voice teared through his throat. I only then realized I was still only wearing a muscle tee and boxers.

"What the fuck are you doing?!" I stood up, pulling Conor away and bringing him into an embrace. "He hit his head, give him a break! And what the fuck would what we did have to do with you?!"

"Because you'reㅡ" Seth yelled back, but then his anger subsided into a gentle solemness.

"Because I'm what." The words spit out my mouth like venom.

He stayed silent, then ran his hand through his hair as he walked back out with an evident sigh. I pat Conor's head again.

* * * * * *

"Why so tense?" Leroy groaned. Seth was in the house for once. I was in Emo's form, so I was back to being female. I discussed Wendy's & my gender with the guild earlier, and they didn't kick us out because of the guild member qualificafions. After that, no one spoke a word. Silence continued to ring in the air, until Bradley's mischevious eyes enlightened.

"You know what we should do, since it's starting to get dark?" Bradley seemed to catch everyone's attention. "We should play seven minutes in heaven."