Chapter 21

CHAPTER 21

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

The bells of Notre Dame rang for morning service as Yuletide arrived in Paris.

Christophe visited the orphanages, monasteries and nunneries, giving his blessings to the people as snow fell through the land.

Within the walls of the Louvre, Therese finalised everything for the big masquerade winter ball in the evening as the maids and servants worked overtime to make sure everything was ready for tonight.

They would also be having fun, and extra help being bought in to make sure the festivities ran smoothly.

As the maids exchanged presents and gave their blessings, they got to work.

The Royal Court returned to the Louvre and hurried to ready themselves for the ball.

It was the first since the previous King's death and they were going all out.

Arianne stood behind net curtains in Joachim's bedroom as she smiled.

Snow in Paris wasn't common - but when it did fall, there was something magical about the city. She saw some of the younger children of the court, playing in the snow as the governesses watched like hawks.

Once upon a time, she was one of those children. She recalled fondly sleighing down the hills with Christophe, throwing snowballs with the other children. The big Yuletide dinner where King Louis's favourite foods were served and the gift exchange. And the night would end with singing, music and dancing in the ballroom decorated in a different theme every year.

This year's was Winter Wonderland and from what Joachim had said, it was all white and guests were being encouraged to wear all white, champagne or ivory.

She had missed out on the build-up to the day, hiding away from everything and everyone until today. But her bags were packed and once the ball peaked, she was gone.

As Joachim entered the room, he was carrying a large box which he placed on the bed before locking the door.

While the two of them were in the room, they respected each other's space. Joachim voluntarily gave Arianne the bed, while he slept on the chaise and he left her alone for most of the day so she could be with her thoughts. Arianne spent her days writing poetry and journalling her feelings and thoughts and reading the many books Joachim had stacked in his room.

Violette had slowly been giving Joachim Arianne's things as she started packing them away and her bags now lay in the corner with her riding habit for the big getaway.

"Happy Yuletide..." Joachim smiled as Arianne walked over and hugged him.

"Yuletide greetings to you too..." She said, holding him close. "Everything ready for the ball tonight?" They pulled away as Joachim nodded.

"The ballroom looks beautiful and it is a shame you won't see it. It would be great for you to experience a winter ball again..."

Arianne sighed, looking at the snow still falling outside. "Of course, I would love to but I must leave when the ball peaks..." She was tempted but she would be playing with fire.

"No one will know you are there! Everyone will be wearing masks..."

She shook her head, dismissing his suggestions. "Even if I wanted to go, I do not have a dress..."