Chapter 29

CHAPTER 29

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Several knocks on the King's chambers broke Arianne and Christophe apart.

Wrapped in the ivory silk sheets of his magnificent bed, they had awoken with the rising sun and prepared to share their love a final time before the day forced them apart.

But the knocks on the door had beaten them to it.

"Oh no..." Arianne muttered, pushing the King away from her as she pulled on her nightdress and robe. "I cannot be seen here."

"No one will dare say anything..." Christophe remarked, pulling on trousers from the previous night as Arianne rolled her eyes. The knocks on the door continued, waiting for the King's permission to enter as Arianne hurried to the secret passageway.

"Wait..." Christophe came to her, the wall shifting behind Arianne as she turned to him. "You forgot something."

She looked around, scanning the bedroom as there could be no sign of her presence as Christophe's lips crashed against hers gently. "Now...you may leave..."

She giggled, pecking his lips one more time as she slipped into the secret passageway, Christophe closing it behind her.

"Enter." He called his servants who entered, led by Ethan who scanned the room as the servants pulled the curtains open, making the bed and lighting the fire, where Christophe stood.

"You are up early?" Ethan questioned as Christophe nodded, a tunic tossed at the King by his friend as he pulled it on.

"It's not that early..." Christophe remarked, squinting at the sun.

Ethan studied the room, noticing where Christophe stood - close to the secret passageway and a conclusion was made.

He nodded slowly, pouting as he made his way to his friend, the two of them watching the servants clean up the room and lay out the King's clothes.

"Someone was here last night...weren't they?" He whispered, standing to the King's left. "Blonde hair, blue eyes, name starts with Arianne?" He teased and Christophe laughed, shaking his head.

"I have no idea what you are talking about..."

Ethan laughed, shaking his head as Christophe blushed before chuckling as the curtains flew open, the sun shining into the room as Christophe walked to the window, satisfied by the view of his city. "Ethan..." He turned to his friend who joined him, the servants continuing to rush around them. "I have a feeling that things are going to get better."

Ethan nodded. "I do too..."

***

In the kitchens, Violette was at work. She ignored the whispers of the other staff - they had heard about what happened in the throne room and while she had spent the night comforted by Ethan, she wished she was still there with him.

A maid shoved her as she walked past her and her bowl of dough fell to the floor and she sighed, looking at the maid who smirked. "Oops."

Violette cleaned up, the other maids giggling. Someone stood before her and she looked up.

"Emma?" She said as Emmac crouched down to help her clean up. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here for you..." She smiled, and both stood up.

"Me?"

Nina approached them."Maybe this conversation can take place elsewhere?" Nina queried. "It will be a little distracting..." She glanced at the maids eavesdropping and stealing glances but Emma shook her head.