Chapter 17

CHAPTER 17

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

"And where do you suppose we send this girl?" Rochefort was seated by the window, a private meeting between taking place to deal with a problem that had developed.

"Anywhere...but we do it quickly and quietly without drawing attention..." Gaston said as Mazarin raised his eyebrows.

"Permanently or..."

Gaston looked at him and said nothing more - it was obvious what he meant. "This girl is no one important. No one will miss her..."

"She's Treville's niece..." Rochefort pointed out.

"Treville has fallen from grace so is not important. No one will help him," Gaston explained as a knock on the door had a chamberlain enter and bow to the men.

"Your Royal Highness. Your Eminence. My Lord..." He bowed to each of the men and handed a note to Gaston. Skim reading it, he dismissed the man and folded the paper back up again quickly.

"What is it?" Mazarin asked as Gaston sighed, shaking his head.

"Something has come up. We hold off on the maid's removal until I return..." Gaston headed for the door. "Just keep an eye on her...and on the King."

As Gaston left, he hurried through the palace and out, avoiding everyone and being careful he wasn't seen. On the back of a horse and one of his own Burgundian guards with him, he was safe and no questions would be asked as there would be no way he could get away with what he was doing without an accusation of treason falling upon his head.

***

Arianne walked the halls of the palace, Joachim with her. "Emma's missing?"

"I don't know..." Joachim replied. "What I do know is my messages to her are not being received and my informant said that the messages never reached her."

"Maybe she's moved on elsewhere?" Arianne replied. "Emma can't just go missing..."

"I'm trying to locate them. You're right, they can't go missing and probably just lying low for a while..."

"Yes, but where?" They turned a corner and Arianne froze, seeing the King, Ethan and a few courtiers approaching them. Christophe stopped, looking at her as Arianne quickly looked away. "I've got to go...I will see you later..." She touched Joachim's arm and then headed back down the corridor she came from as Joachim faced the King. He bowed to him as Christophe approached him.

"Didn't I go tell you to go do something? Instead, you are here, frolicking with maids?" Christophe questioned, glancing behind Joachim's shoulder to Emilie who hurried away as Joachim frowned, aware that the King's attitude had suddenly turned cold upon seeing him with Emilie.

"I wasn't frolicking and I can multitask. I was asking her about the Trevilles..." He replied, but Christophe's expression retained a scowl.

Jealousy? Anger?

He didn't want to wait around to find out - especially after the way he had spoken to him in front of the few courtiers he was with. "I've got to get to Luxembourg Palace, Your Majesty." He said simply, bowing to the King and courtiers before he walked past them, Christophe watching him go

When he was a safe distance away, Joachim was called from behind and he turned to see Ethan, approaching him. "What is wrong with him?" He asked, turning to his friend. "He's never spoken to me like that!"