Chapter 10

CHAPTER 10

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

A damp cloth against her head made Arianne flinch. Her eyes flickered as she turned her head. The damp clothes were removed as Arianne's eyes opened slowly.

The ceiling was familiar...yet not what she was expecting as three faces appeared over her.

"Oh, thank goodness you are awake!" Emma squealed with delight as Arianne shook her head, groaning. "We were so worried."

"What..." Arianne slowly sat up and Violette pushed her back down gently.

"You had a head injury. You're not going anywhere..." Her stern, strong voice made Arianne grumble.

Arianne shook her head. "Where am I?"

"The royal infirmary..." A lady's voice came from the left and Arianne turned to see Nina Dufort, reading some papers.

"The Louvre?" Arianne questioned as she looked at Emma and Violette. "How did I end up here?"

Before anyone could reply, Maeva entered the room, relief sweeping through her to see Arianne, awake and okay.

"Oh, thank goodness you are alright!" She hugged her and checked her head. "Does it hurt? Can you see well?"

I'm alright...I promise..." Arianne assured her as Violette put her hand to her forehead and gently pushed her back down to the pillow. "How did I end up here? I just remember being attacked by two people in the house."

"I left my basket..." Violette said, handing over the cloth to Maeva who took over. "Emma and I came back for it and well...we saw everything..."

"Who was it?" Maeva asked as Arianne shook her head slowly.

"There were two of them and they were searching for something..." Arianne confessed as Maeva nodded. "I didn't see their faces..."

"The house is being searched in case they left anything. I am mortified that not one of those people that lived in the courtyard came to help when they heard the screams..." Maeva was disgusted and Arianne too felt shocked that no-one came to help.

But...two unconventional people did and she turned to Violette and Emma "Did you two bring me here, of all places?" She asked as Emma nodded.

"Papa insisted and when we explained to Nina what happened, she said she would help us..."

Nina was sitting in a chair in the corner and smiled at them. "You're welcome."

Arianne smiled as she looked at Emma and Violette in turn. "And the men just ran when they saw you?" Arianne questioned but before they could answer. Treville entered the room.

"Thank goodness!" Treville sighed, glad to see her well. "I want faces. What do they look like? I'll hunt them down..." Treville demanded as Maeve scoffed.

"You and what army?" She asked. "No-one is going to endanger themselves further. We are just grateful that she is fine. It could've been worse."

"Maeva...people were in our house...why?" Treville looked at Arianne who tensed and he shook his head. "I'm going to find out why, but I need to know what they looked like..."

"I didn't see..." Emma replied. "They had face coverings." Arianne shook her head slowly, agreeing with her.

"And they ran before we even got a chance to get a good look at them..." Violette added.