Chapter 20

CHAPTER 20

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

"You girls are insane!" Joachim paced back and forth in his bedroom as the plan was laid out before him by Violette and Arianne. "They shouldn't be investigating the King's insanity, they should be investigating yours!"

Arianne scoffed. "That is treason?" She warned. "And...if we don't do this, I will have to leave..."

Joachim shook his head. "What makes you think you can pull this off? The entire court knows you as Emilie Bellerose. You cannot just make that disappear!"

"Are you going to help us or not?" Violette scowled, her arms crossed as Joachim looked at each of them before groaning.

"What do you need me to do?" This alliance was through reluctance.

"You need to first find out when the English Emissary is coming here..." Arianne said as Joachim nodded.

"Tomorrow..." He said simply as Arianne frowned. "What? I was there when the Duke of Orleans announced it."

"Which doesn't give us a lot of time but we need to be quick about it..." Violette remarked.

The plan was laid out. "We need a girl to play the role of Emilie Bellrose, so you need to take Arianne to the convent..." Violette gestured to her as a shiver ran down the Countess's spine. More people calling her by her real name and it felt, exhilarating but scary - they were playing with fire. "She will find someone who will pretend to be her and we will pay her for her troubles."

"Once we have the fake Emilie on our side, bring her here..." Arianne said. "I will train the girl to think and act like me and be ready to answer questions that the English Emissary might throw at her."

"And when the Emissary asks for Emilie Bellerose to be presented, we present the girl..."

"No one will fall for it..." Joachim explained as Arianne prodded his chest.

"You have no faith in us?"

Violette circled him and Joachim was surrounded as he looked at each of the women in turn. "This can work if no one but us finds out we switched Emilie..."

"So...are you in or out?"

Joachim groaned, rubbing his temples. "I have no choice, do I?"

There were cheers as Joachim was squeezed into a hug.

"I suggest we start now..."

***

Winter had fallen on Paris and the snow that fell outside made the festive atmosphere within the capital ever more pleasing.

The city was decorated for Yuletide in the coming weeks and at the centre point, the Louvre was alight.

The palace was alive as the day of the masquerade ball fast approached. Preparations were underway to make sure the evening was the best Yuletide ever.

As King made sure everything was completed to the highest standard to honour his father's memory, a heist was taking place.

Wrapped in furs, Arianne and Joachim headed out to a convent.

In the kitchens, Violette faced Nina. "Where has she gone?" The words were dreary coming from the head maid's lips, after repeating them many times regarding the same subject.