Chapter 11

CHAPTER 11

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

"Ladies!" Nina called and the maids turned their attention to her as she stood in their rooms. "This is Emilie Bellerose. She's new here so I expect you all to be nice to her."

Arianne was standing behind Nina, holding her bags and she smiled at the maids, who did not seem too impressed with her presence.

"Your uniform is in your trunk. If you need anything, please ask me or any of the girls..." Nina smiled as she left the room. The girls went back to their own things - they were on break before the lunch rush and they were definitely in the mood to deal with a newcomer.

"Welcome," Violette said, smiling at her as Arianne laughed and observed the room.

There were simple beds on both sides, around 10, and large wooden trunks at the foot of each one and small wooden tables next to each head. Every single bed had been perfectly made the same way - all but Arianne's which had been stripped back to the straw mattress. It was the closest to the door and closest to the window - it had been left empty for a reason, but it was next to Violette's, so at least her neighbour was not a stranger.

"Thanks..." Arianne placed her things on the trunk and looked at the bed.

"We wake up promptly at 5am every morning and we must start at 6am. You are responsible for your own bed and items so take care of everything and if you don't want something to be found or used, hide it or get rid of it..." Violette explained, her voice low. "Work finishes at 10 pm and the curfew is at 11 pm, unless there is a major event such as a ball or gala. Any questions?"

"Yes...where are the bedsheets?" Arianne asked as Violette came to the trunk at the foot of Arainne's bed and lifted it, revealing folded bed sheets and a uniform. Arianne thanked her as Violette helped her make the bed.

"Fifteen minutes, new girl. We'll meet you in the kitchen..." One of the maids said as she walked past, the others following suit.

"You can go. I don't want you to get into trouble..." Arianne turned to Violette who was plumping up the pillows.

"Are you sure?"

Arianne assured her she would be alright, so Violette left, leaving Arianne alone in her thoughts.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, she felt cold air coming in through the window and it made sense why none of the women in the room had chosen this bed.

Her uniform was like the other maids - a white off-the-shoulder blouse, grey kirtles and white skirts. She kept her boots on and tied her hair up in a messy braid.

She tossed her clothes into the trunk and checked her reflection in the looking glass. Her pendant was hanging between her breastbone. She could wear it but none of the other maids were wearing jewellery. To wear something so expensive while doing such laborious work would be silly. She removed it and placed it at the bottom of the trunk, hiding her clothes and other things on top, before hurrying out of the room, and navigating the corridors to the kitchen.

The other maids were already waiting in line as Nina stood before them with two other senior maids. She stopped talking, tilting her head at Arianne and nudging her to join the line before continuing.

"As I was saying...curfew has been broken in the past few days and I will not have another Red Guard on my case. I expect all of you to be in your bedrooms, regardless if you sleep or not at 11 pm at the latest. Only if you have had prior permission from me are you allowed to be out and I will inform the Red Guards so there are no more complaints..." The maids nodded in agreement as Nina looked at Arianne. "Miss Bellerose, you will be assigned to the Duchess of Montpensier until further notice. She, of course, has her own household, but we are still required to provide her with staff."