Chapter 18

CHAPTER 18

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

He noticed it.

Christophe saw it everywhere he went.

As he walked the halls of the palace, the courtiers whispered and the servants avoided him.

Red Guards followed him everywhere and watched him from afar and he heard it every day from everyone who communicated with him - was he alright? It wasn't a simple tone they used - it was one of concern.

Preparing a horse for a ride around the palace grounds, he was coerced into not going. Before he ate his food, someone would try it again before him, in case it had been poisoned on the way to the dining room. He was denied wine, instead, he was given apple and grape juice.

He was stopped from holding audiences with the Parisians and he was prevented from seeing any guests. Nobles who arrived presenting their papers, passing through and expecting an audience with their monarch were denied and anger was filling in the King.

Christophe paced back and forth in his bedroom as Ethan entered. "You are supposed to be inspecting the guards. Why are you here?"

"They can do it without me, seeing as they have been doing everything else..." Christophe snapped, heading to the window to see the Red Guards were all lined up awaiting him as Rochefort was making sure everything was perfect. The King's inspection was essential to prove to the nobles against the dismissal of the Musketeers that the King trusted the Red Guards with his life. Without his approval, resentment would rise and while the King could simply turn them away, the Red Guards were the only guards he had protected his family and the palace.

Christophe groaned, turning back to his bedroom. "I've heard it all...seen it all..."

Ethan frowned. "What are you talking about?"

"The whispers, the stares and glares. The meetings behind my back, my food being vigorously inspected and my being denied wine. I'm not allowed to have audiences or meet the nobles and I heard the words being said about me and they think I don't know but I know..."

Ethan just stared at him. "You cannot tell courtiers to stop talking and meetings take place behind your back is nothing new. Not everything is for you to know about. Your food has to be taste-tested in case it has been poisoned and the wine stocks are low. The audiences with the Parisians are being dealt with by your mother - she insisted as she will be retiring from the court in the new year and the nobles are passing through and leaving their papers..." The King was not convinced, shaking his head as Ethan sighed. "What do you think is happening then?"

"They think I'm going mad...that's what!" Christophe cried. "I am not a fool. I know what everyone thinks but now, they have no fear over me or the fact that I am King. I still hold power and I will not be sidelined because of pathetic rumours and gossip!"

Ethan nodded. "I can find the person responsible?"

Calming down, Christophe's eyes fell on the watercolours of the canvas above the fireplace.

Peace, serenity and tranquillity.

He knew he wasn't going mad and that was all that mattered. "No...I'll deal with this myself."

"How?"

Christophe looked at his friend and exhaled. "I want to know everything. If any meeting is taking place without me, I want to know why and who is hosting and I will arrive on my accord. Nobles who arrive and Parisians who want an audience with me - tell me everything." Ethan nodded, bowing his head respectfully. "It's not enough, is it? If everyone thinks I am losing my mind, nothing I do will make things right..."