Character List and Maps

A LIST OF THE CHARACTERS FEATURED IN THIS NOVEL. 

THE YEAR IS 1652-1653. 

While the story is set in a historical time period, members of the French Royal Family are fictitious, but many characters are real i.e. Christophe's father, his paternal aunts and their families; his paternal grandparents etc. 

Families were commonly large at this time, especially with noble families and many people married young, but not all of the royal children will feature in the novel but will be mentioned. 

Many men went by their surnames or their titles during this time i.e. Jean-Armand du Peyrer, Comte de Troisville went by 'Treville', Charles Batz-Castelmore, Comte d'Artagnan went by 'd'Artagnan' etc. 

Characters with an asterisk (*) are real characters but are given a fictitious portrayal. 

THIS IS A LIST OF THE CHARACTERS WHO HAVE A PHYSICAL ROLE IN THE NOVEL!

***

MAIN CHARACTERS:

- Arianne Emilie Batz-Castelmore, Comtess d'Artagnan (Emilie Bellerose) - Daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Gascony, Charles Batz-Castelmore (the legendary d'Artagnan) and Constance Bonacieux. After spending the first nine years of her life at the French court, she moved to England to get a lady's education and remained there during the English Civil War, witnessing the execution of the King and living a vagrant life. She is a skilled musketeer and writer and after arriving back in France at the age of twenty/twenty-one (after the ship she was supposed to travel in was shipwrecked a few years prior, thus everyone in France believing she was dead) she spent a year living a rule-free life in Normandy under disguise, before returning to Paris, going under the name of 'Emilie Bellerose'

- Violette Margaux Leblanc - A baker from Manguelonne, Laungedoc. She was abandoned as a child in an orphanage and moved to Paris when she was eighteen, and as a self-taught pastry chef, she started selling her bakes on a market stall, which caught the eye of Princess Louise. She soon moved to the Royal Palace and befriended Emma du Peyrer but is an outcast amongst the maids as she is seen as a favourite amongst the courtiers. Violette learned to defend herself due to her rough upbringing and is skilled with a dagger and bow and arrow. Her upbringing also has her very reserved, and meek but smart and she harbours a secret, her past a mystery and it all catches up to her.

- Emma Marguerite du Peyrer - A dressmaker and the youngest daughter of Captain Treville and Maeva Travers. She grew up in a French court with Arianne and the royal children. Her family were greatly respected up until the King's assassination attempt, which led them to leave the court and live a quiet life on the outskirts of Paris. Emma sells and makes dresses in her spare time and she and her family are the original ones who know who Arianne really is. Emma is skilled with a bow and arrow and a sword, after watching her father and brothers fight as musketeers. She continues to train with her father. She has been in a secret relationship with Joachim du Plessis, her childhood friend who continues to live at the French court. 

- King Christophe I of France and Navarre - The King of France and Navarre. He came to the throne at the age of fifteen after his father's sudden death in 1643. His mother, paternal uncle Prince Gaston and the Chief Minister of France, Cardinal Mazarin, ruled France for three years until he came of age. He is a kind King who is loved by the courtiers and the French people. After he was shot at the age of twenty-two in an assassination attempt, the musketeers were disbanded, something he was angry about but was outvoted by his privy council. He grew up with Arianne D'Artagnan and they remained in touch through letters after she went to England, remaining really close and he was devastated when he believed she had died, something that remained with him. His marriage is in talks with a foreign princess but he falls in love with 'Emilie Bellerose', who turns out to be Arianne. His life is also in danger as Prince Gaston and Cardinal Mazarin are plotting against him.