Chapter 30

CHAPTER 30

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

She was always there.

In her embroidered gowns, her pearls and diamonds, Arianne d'Artagnan was always at the King's side.

Whenever he needed her, whenever he called for her, she came.

To the courtiers, she was an advisor, using her skills from her time in England to relay information and spy for him. She went to the city in disguise, getting what information she could and relaying it back to the King and his close circle.

To courtiers, she was his strength. She had become the one who straightened out those who had fallen out of line or forgotten their place.

She sat next to him in the dining room, was the only one allowed to question him and stood at his side during assemblies. Hunting trips were men-only activities but she joined them, shooting her shot at the prey.

But there was denying this was not just a childhood friendship.

King Christophe and Comtesse d'Artagnan were lovers.

Emma and Violette were free to explore the palace and spend time away from Arianne to develop their own skills, especially during the times when the couple wanted to be alone.

Violette baked sweet treats for the King's inner circle and Emma practised the piano - they were emerging as stars.

In the days since her parents left, Arianne received a letter that they had arrived in Gascony and they wanted her to be safe, telling her how excited her siblings and extended family were over the fact that she was still alive.

Her heart skipped a beat at the thought.

Reuniting with her sisters, her aunts, uncles and cousins seemed like a dream in the distance but it was going to happen and she was more than thrilled.

As she lay wrapped up in silk bed sheets on the King's bed, he sat next to her, teasing her bare skin, as he kissed her gently between her shoulder blades.

"Will we start every morning like this?" Arianne asked as Christophe smiled. Her body melted as he kissed her skin, his fingertips caressing her bare skin.

"Every night you come to me, we will start every morning like this..." He replied as Arianne lay on her back and the King kissed her stomach.

"I'm spending a lot of time here..." She guided his head, moaning a little as he kissed between her breasts.

"Move into my chambers..." Christophe replied, pulling away to look at her as Arianne shook her head.

"I prefer my space. When you get on my nerves, I'll need somewhere to go..."

Christophe pretended to be offended as he restrained her arms above her head, as she squealed.

They kissed passionately as they spent their morning making love in the golden glow of the sun.

***

In the palace gardens, a game of pall mall was underway.

Ladies versus gentlemen.

As Louise hit her ball through a loop, the ladies cheered. "It seems to me we are in the lead..." Louise called to the men, who stood opposite them.

"The day is still young..." Joachim called as the girls chuckled. Arianne stepped forward, ready to hit her ball, but the sudden trumpeting announcing the arrival of someone stopped her.