Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

In the small sitting room, Arianne sat opposite the man who had brought her to this house as Maeva stood by a window, peering out.

The man before Arianne slurped the soup he had been given as Arianne felt her heartache over how desperate he truly was.

She looked around the room; it was reasonably sized but the spacing of the furniture made it seem much smaller. There was a single, large window which emitted light next to the front door and there was another large window at the base of the stairs, opposite.

The wooden table Arianne sat at was crooked slightly and was large enough for four chairs as a rocking chair, footstool and cushioned chair were to the left, looking into a fireplace.

The small kitchen area was behind her but it was only counters and a few pots and pans and cutlery.

It stunned her how this family could fall from grace so quickly.

"Thank you for the soup, Madame Treville..." The man said as he wiped his hands on a cloth.

"You needed it...Remy," Maeva stated, smiling gently at him. "You should've left when the others did. You should never have stayed."

Remy dropped his head and sighed. "I...had nowhere to go. I was not like the other musketeers. I'm not a noble-born so I don't have a family to go to. I'm an orphan...a street urchin. I had no choice but to stay at the garrison..."

Maeva came to the table and sat next to him. "Remy...this is a change..for everyone. My husband was once the captain of the musketeers; a loyal comrade to the King and a godfather to the Dauphin. I was a respected member of the royal court - a physician's assistant which is an unknown career for women. We were all so happy with our own homes and servants. But now, we're here..." She sighed. "I make my living working at an apothecary and my husband is a blacksmith while our relationship with the royal family is not the same." Maeva glanced at Arianne. "Remy...I would keep you here if I could but we don't have any room. Your best chance is to leave Paris and find work elsewhere."

"But who will hire me? I don't have anything to my name..." Remy grumbled as Maeva smiled gently, placing a hand on the young man's shoulder.

"You are a musketeer. You are a skilled swordsman and have excellent accuracy. You care and tend to horses better than anyone I know!" Maeva complimented. "You will find work."

"I can help?" Arianne chimed in and they both looked at her. "Head north...to Falaise." She stated. "I was there for a while before I came here. The Dowager Duchess of Normandy is a sweet old lady and she will help you. She needed a stable hand before I left and if that vacancy has been filled, she might make you a gamekeeper or even a guard."

"How do I know she'll even offer me a job?" Remy questioned as Arianne smiled gently.

"Tell her...Emilie Bellerose sent you..." Arianne spoke the name of her alias and Maeva raised her eyebrows. "She took a liking to me. She will help you."

Remy was hesitant to leave - Paris was the only home he had known but there was nothing for him here anymore. A whole new life could be waiting for him in Normandy.

He nodded and stood up. "I'll take your leave. Thank you..." He kissed Maeva's hand who wished him luck as Arianne also sent her best wishes along.

"Thank you...Remy, for bringing me here. I hope everything turns out alright in Normandy," She said and he nodded, smiling.