Chapter 28

CHAPTER 28

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

There was no way to explain the emotions of those present in the ballroom.

Arianne d'Artagnan - the young woman who was supposed to be dead - was standing before them covered in blood and dressed like a man.

Emma Travers - missing with her family - was also with her, armed with a bow and arrow.

"What is the meaning of this?" Gaston was the first to speak.

Constance and d'Artagnan were in shock as Constance stepped forward, her eyes locking with her beautiful, beloved daughter who she thought had died.

Arianne saw her mother and her heart jumped. Her beautiful mother who she adored, worshipped the ground that she walked on. Her saviour and strength, her defender and protector.

Constance hesitated - was this real? Was this a dream?

Red Guards suddenly blocked their path, preventing Arianne and Emma from getting any closer as Constance turned to the King.

"Please...please..." Constance begged. "Your Majesty...please..."

"Let them through..." Christophe replied and the Red Guards looked at Gaston who shook his head. "I said let them through!"

The Red Guards stepped away as Arianne's eyes locked with her mother. She came to her, reaching for her face gently. Feeling her again was like a dream - neither of them believed it would ever happen. "My...Arianne..."

"Mama..." Tears formed in Arianne's eyes as Constance held her face, kissing her forehead. "Mama...I'm so sorry..."

"No...my baby girl...no..."

They hugged the comfort of her mother's arms a godsend. Every child is moulded into their mother's arms - a comforting embrace of protection and love. Constance had felt these same arms ache for months when she first learnt of her dear daughter's death, but here she was - back where she belonged.

"Arianne..." d'Artagnan stepped forward, hugging his wife and daughter as a family reunion caused emotions to emit throughout the throne room. Christophe smiled - Arianne was where she belonged.

As the Castelmores broke away, they wiped each other's tears as Arianne turned to the King, curtsying before him. Emma stepped forward, greeted by Constance and d'Artagnan as she curtsied to the King.

"I need to confess to what I have done..." Arianne looked up at him and Christophe nodded. She glanced at her parents and Emma who gave her a single nod - it was all the courage she needed.

"I am wanted in England for what I did...to Cromwell's son-in-law..." She explained as the memories of the horror she endured in England replayed in her mind.

Henry Ireton - married to Cromwell's daughter Bridget. Arianne had been forced into an indenture to serve the Cromwells in order for her to be free from the guillotine. England was officially a Republic - a protectorate.

1651 - Hampton Court Palace. From the start of it all, she had faced abuse but nothing like Ireton exposed her to.

He was ruthless and a predator - watching her when she served food in the grand halls.

He spied on her when she changed and bathed.

He followed her, wanting to know where she was and what she was doing and he was oblivious to her knowing what he was up to.