Chapter 11 (Part 1)

Jean hurries down the steps of the university, passing through the school's grand entrance. As he hops down the stone steps, he struts along the path towards the school gates. Following closely behind Jean are Kevin and Gabriel, their footsteps melding seamlessly.

     As the daylight caresses Jean's lean figure, his pine-brown coat glistens, complementing his cream waistcoat. White trousers hang down his legs, running towards his black shoes. Completing his attire, a black ribbon wraps around his neck, its loose ends cascading freely onto his chest.

     Reminiscent of Jean's clothes, Kevin wears a closed black overcoat that conceals his waistcoat. Loose brown trousers lead to his ankles, meeting his black leather shoes. Like Jean, Kevin adorns a black ribbon around his neck, giving his ensemble a polished look.

     In the meantime, Gabriel dons a dark grey coat, matching his white vest. Black trousers contrast against his white undershirt, giving his ensemble a bold interplay of shades. Matching his black shoes, he wears a bow around his neck.

"Hey, Jean! Wait up!" Kevin called out, trailing behind Jean.

"Where are you going??" Gabriel asked as he followed Jean.

     Jean continues down the path, unbothered by his friends' call. With his stride hastening each pace, he glances at his back and sees Kevin and Gabriel following him. Upon seeing his friends, he slows his steps and allows them to walk alongside him. As they march shoulder-to-shoulder, the wind blows against their faces, flowing through their hair.

"I'm going back home," Jean replied as they approached the school gates.

"Home??" Kevin and Gabriel gasped in unison.

"Well, it's Saturday," Jean shrugged, raising a brow. "I have the right to go home if I want."

"Well, good point," Gabriel thought, raising a finger.

"Wait, why are you going back home?" Kevin asked in concern.

Jean finally halted, and his friends paused as well. He then turned on his heels and faced Kevin and Gabriel with a bold look. "Because the person who probably knows about my mother is my adoptive father, who signed my adoption papers," Jean said.

"Which? Mr Oliver?" Kevin guessed, his eyebrow rising.

"Yeah," Jean nodded in response.

     As Jean, Kevin, and Gabriel chatter, Bertie and George wander around the school's front yard. As they stride, they spot their youngest brother, Jean, far ahead. Curious, they hasten towards him and join his side.

     As Bertie walks forward, the wind blows against his black coat. The muted sunlight touches his vest, giving it a leafy glint. Around his legs is a pair of trousers, matching his black shoes. Like his brother's attire, George dons a black coat atop a salmon-coloured waistcoat. Black trousers match the shade of his bow and polished shoes, giving his attire a refined appearance.

"Jean?" Bertie called out curiously.

"Oh, brothers," Jean responded, turning to face Bertie and George.

"What're you doing here? Out for a stroll, perhaps?" George asked, picking a guess with a smirk.

Jean sighed. "No. I intend to return home," he said.

"What? Why?" Bertie inquired, surprised by Jean's response.

"Jean is eager to question your father about his mother," Kevin told Bertie and George.

"Jean's mother?" Bertie repeated, tilting his head and squeezing his eyes.

George nudged Bertie on the arm. "Jean's biological mother, dummy," he whispered to Bertie.

"Oh," Bertie nodded, trying to take in the details of the conversation. "Well? What's wrong?" he asked.

"Jean wants to meet his mother, you know?" said Gabriel.

"Hm..." Bertie thought for a few seconds before responding. "Maybe George and I can come with you?" he suggested.

"Oh? You'll do that for me?" Jean asked, smiling.

"Mhm," Bertie and George bobbed their heads up and down.

Placing a hand on Jean's shoulder, Kevin stated, "Jean, as your friend, I'm willing to come with you, too. It would be a thrill to solve this mystery with you."

"Count me in!" Gabriel interjected.

"Woah. You're all coming??" Jean gasped, his eyes widening with surprise.

"Yeah!" Gabriel, Bertie, and George sprang to their feet.

"I mean, is it that necessary? This quest would only benefit me, and it might only waste your time," Jean hesitated momentarily, though his smile never wavered.

"Everything for a friend, Jean," Kevin said.

"And everything for a brother!" Bertie added with a grin.

     Jean gazes into the eyes of his friends and brothers as his lips curl into a passionate smile. The tenderness in his heart burns fiercely, causing the butterflies in his stomach to rouse and take flight. His hesitation gradually melts away, and with a slight nod, he beams at Kevin, Gabriel, Bertie, and George.