12 ● Malcolm ● 28.07.2027

July 28th, 2027

Malcolm, New York

I was honestly staring to lose my patience at work. Ever since I came here and became the boss at the neurological ward, I've worked crazy hours. The surgeries were endless and there weren't really any people I'd trust enough to hand them over to. It was a big bloody hospital and a lot of people came here, especially knowing that we had some of the best doctors in the country here, which meant that we needed a lot of staff.

The neurological ward was kind of short-staffed, unfortunately. And the surgeons we did have, were giving me a headache at least twice a day. That's why I decided it's time for a change. A big one.

First thing in the morning, I needed to go see Jesper and talk to him about it, because I kind of couldn't do anything without the boss' permission. That's why I was sitting in his office at seven in the morning, waiting for him to come to work.

He was a little surprised to see me when he came in, but nonetheless, he offered me a genuine smile. "What's wrong, Malcolm? Is it Yohan?" He asked right away, and of course he'd ask about that cheeky bastard. He was obsessed.

"The prince is still sleeping, mate, don't worry," I said with a light smile. "I actually wanted to talk to you about my department. I fired Monroe and Dickinson yesterday," I informed him. Of course I didn't really fire them officially, I just told them that I'll talk to the boss about laying them off. "I just need your permission and-"

"Woah, wait a second. Why are you going around firing people? Are you insane?!" He yelled at me. Oh bloody hell, is he seriously mad about that.

"Look, Jesper, I fired them, because they are all just a bunch of uneducated wankers. I set up some interviews for today, and I want to hire people in their places. Actual smart people, okay? Not some old pricks who forgot how to hold a scalpel," I explained everything carefully. "I need actual good people in my department, so that I don't do every single bloody surgery there is! Look mate, I'm knackered, I work all the time, I'm in every surgery there is, because nobody is competent enough to do it without my supervision!"

He looked at me weirdly, squinting, and just stood there for a second, not moving. "That's it? You want to hire new people because you consider everyone idiots?" He snorted and went to sit at his desk. "Malcolm, you're a literal genius, it's normal that you think everyone else around you is a fucking tool."

Fair point, of course people around me are muppets. "I know it's pretty last minute to tell you, but the interviews start in an hour and since you're the boss, I want you to come with me, so that you know who you're hiring. It's Yohan's department after all, I don't wish to play the boss, but-"

"But you are," Jesper said, shrugging. "You are the boss and you will remain in your place. Whether he wakes up or not... I'm not sure he'll be able to come back to work, to- To surgery," he said, looking down.

"Of course he will, mate, he's a Lee," I said with a cheerful voice, hoping to cheer him up a bit. I knew life has been hard on him, and with time, he was barely holding on. "He was born to cut into brains, he'll be back at work in no time when he wakes up. "That's a thing I learned about being around Jesper. To talk about whens, not ifs, when it came to Yohan.

"I'm not saying he won't want to, just maybe- He won't be able to," Jesper said with worry. Of course there's a possibility. For all we know, he could have even lost his sight after that first surgery and that would completely disqualify him. But it's better not to think about that.