To Be A Soldier...

Y/N Pov

That night, we were all in the sleeping quarters, just trying to relax. Eren had walked up to me and asked me if I had any suggestions on how to help him with the ODM test.

"Please! I heard you're really good at it! Like you got it instantly!" Eren yelled as I shrugged.

"Sorry, I don't think there's a trick to just hanging in the air. You should just, hope for the best tomorrow and hope you get it." I said as Eren and Armin just nodded. They then went to Reiner and Bertholdt, and just left me. I quickly rested, knowing there would be a long day tomorrow.

-----

The next day we all stood in the field as the people who failed had one more chance at the test. And Eren was the last.

"Eren Jaeger. Are you ready?" Shadis asked him as he quickly nodded.

"Begin!" Shadis ordered as Eren was lifted off the ground. He managed to balance, using his entire body. Everyone started to cheer as Eren hung in the air, but just as quickly, he fell upside down.

"N-Not yet! I can still do it!" Eren yelled, the desperation clear in his voice.

"Let him down." Shadis said as Eren was shocked. He just fell to the ground.

"Wagner. Switch belts with Jaeger." Shadis ordered some other cadets as he did so. After that, Eren was lifted up again and could easily balance. Even though he was still a little shaky.

"Your equipment was defective. The belt you were using had a broken clasp. I've never heard of this part breaking before; I guess we'll have to add it to the maintenance checklist." Shadis explained to Eren and the rest of us. Everyone was in shock.

"The, even with broken equipment he still managed to...?!" Another random cadet said out of the crowd.

"Th-Then, am I fit to be a soldier?!" Eren asked as Shadis nodded.

"You pass muster. Train hard!" Shadis said as Eren raised his fists in the air, cheering.

"I did it!" Eren yelled as everyone watched in awe, and admiration.

"Looks like things worked out for him." Reiner said as we watched. 

"His eyes say, 'What do you think of that?!'" Armin said but was shut down by Mikasa instantly.

"No. He feels relieved that he doesn't have to leave me now." Mikasa said as me, Armin, Reiner, and Bertholdt were all speechless. Does she really mean that? No probably not. 

----- 3rd Person Pov -----

"Pick up the pace! Run, you lead footed laggards!" Shadis yelled at the cadets who were running through a forest, heavy backpacks slung over their shoulders. The rain pouring down on their skin.

"What's your problem, Arlert?! You're dragging your feet! Too heavy for you?! Maybe you'd prefer I let you drop your gear?!" The instructor yelled at the struggling cadet as he stared forward. 

"If this were a real mission, you'd be titan food by now!" The instructor yelled as he moved forward to the rest of the group.

"Armin, give it to me!" The cadets comrade ran up beside him, his blonde hair drenched. He grabbed the backpack of the struggling cadet as they moved forward.