22. Burning Pots

For the first time this week, I slept well last night after hearing her voice as I explained the menu over the phone when she got home. I haven't been sleeping well, if at all since the last time I saw her. It was ridiculous even thinking about it, for the first two days I refused to even think about her; keeping myself busy and working myself to the bone.

After our conversation last week, I canceled my contract with the culinary school. It was an impulsive decision, but I knew I couldn't continue working there if I intended to stay away from her. The school board tried to convince me to stay at least for the remainder of the second term, which was about to commence, but I couldn't. I had to refocus and dedicate my time into all my businesses, this was my way of distancing myself from Amara.

After seeing her break down because of that sorry excuse of a man called her father, I knew that I couldn't force her to believe or trust me that I won't hurt her, but what made me realize that she didn't want to let me in was when she suggested we be friends with benefits when I finally thought we had made progress and she was starting to open up to me.

Her trust issues ran deeper than I initially thought, and then there was a possible new heart break from the guy I have seen following her around like a love sick puppy.

How do I convince a woman who has been hurt by the one person who should have protected her from getting hurt, that I'm not like those men? I wasn't afraid of a challenge and I loved her, but my last relationship ended badly because of the same issues.

Dating someone with trust issues who's not ready to face or let go of her past wasn't a game. The last woman I dated who had this kind of issue, threw her hurt at me every chance she got. I got blamed for pain I didn't inflict and paid for mistakes made by other men.

I had wanted the relationship to work because we had a good thing going before her insecurities got in the way. For months on end I tried to make it work, assured her of my commitment, and for a while things would go back to normal. At least that was the impression I was under, until I found out she hired a PI to follow me around.

Amara was different, I knew the first time I saw her that she would cause me trouble. I fell in love with how she went from tongue tied to sharp claws in mere seconds. I love how she wears her confidence like a second skin, and don't get me started on how she moves around the kitchen!

In my 29 years of existence, I have never gotten turned on from just watching a woman move around the kitchen while wearing slacks.

Hearing her voice last night was enough to know that I wasn't ready to give up on her. I just need to find out how to win her trust, and I hoped giving her so much trust by cooking my parents' anniversary meal showed her how much I believed in her. When I found out I couldn't fly out last night, I couldn't think of a better person to take care of that.

When Cameron told me Amara and her friends just walked into my fast food restaurant, a switch went off in my head and all I had to do was make her see her potential.

"Sir, we are about to land. Please wear your seatbelt." The flight attendant said with a smile.

Putting away the book that I had been holding for the past hour, I obliged. Looking at my watch I realized that it was a little after three in the afternoon, I would be home in two hours. I just needed to make a short stop at my apartment to get some essentials.

I'm coming for you kitten, my parents didn't raise me to give up so easily.

~~~~~~~~~~👩‍🍳🥂~~~~~~~~~~