16. Ego

Jake's POV

Amara was silent on the drive to my place, her face plastered against the window pane where droplets of water cascaded. Every now and then she would wipe under her eyes, then sniffle. I wanted to take away her pain and make her feel better, but I could tell that she hated me seeing her so vulnerable..

She was a strong, prideful young woman and the fact that she allowed me to take her home told me that she was desperate to get away from the couple at the restaurant. Had I  known those were her parents, I would have kept her far from that table and section of the restaurant.

I brought her to my place because she didn't want to go to hers, knowing her mother would go looking for her. While I didn't think this would be how she came to my house, I was still glad she trusted me enough to allow me to help and take care of her.

As I watched her take in my space, it surprised me how easy it was to  picture her living here with me, and cooking together. “Come, you need to get out of those clothes.” I said, telling her to follow me upstairs and I filled the guest bathtub with salts my sister had bought when  she was here, knowing that they would help her relax. She needed to forget a bit about what she went through tonight.

"Towels are in the upper drawer, and I will leave you a change of clothes on the bed," I told her as she looked around the spacious room.

I planned to shower while she had her bath, I was sure the poor girl needed a breather from me. "Thank you," she said with a forced smile. 

I hoped to see her back to her old self soon, not that I minded the shy quiet Amara, but the fire in her was what caught my attention in the first place. Leaving her to bathe, I searched through the closet to check if Jemma had left any clothes that I could give spare for her to wear.

After a quick shower, I went to check on Amara and see what she wanted to eat. I regretted opening the door without knocking—a bad habit since childhood— as soon as I walked in and recalled my mother sending me back outside after barging in without knocking. A startled Amara stood in shorts, her hands clutching a shirt to hide her bare chest from me.

"Don't you knock?!"

"I'm sorry, I should have knocked.” Turning around to give her privacy I added,” I came to ask you what you wanted to eat."

"You can turn around." She mumbled.

My sister had a few inches on Amara but slimmer, the knee high gown looked lovely on her. It hid what the shorts didn't, but still showed off her beautiful curves and nice legs.

What more could a man ask for?

I cleared my throat, scolding myself for such thoughts, especially given the circumstances. I didn't even know if I stood a chance after the stunt I pulled at work, I was jealous and jumped into conclusions. 

Who said that she felt the same way I do?  She could have a boyfriend for all I know.

"Chef Jake, are you okay?" Amara's voice pulled me from my thoughts, her hand on my bicep.

The  small innocent touch did things to me I couldn't explain, I shivered and not because it was cold, it was electrifying. No one had ever had such an effect on me, not even the only girl I ever said I loved three years ago.

"You don't seem alright, maybe you are getting a cold." she said, snapping me out of my thoughts again.

"No, I'm fine." I said, shaking my head. "I came to ask you what you wanted for supper," I continued while taking her in.

Her black long hair was in a messy bun, her eyes red and puffy from crying, but she was still the most beautiful girl. I longed to touch her like I did in the pantry, to caress her and hold her tight so nobody would make her cry again.