27. I'm Not My Father!

What did I just see? 

I was lost in my thoughts as Sophie drove me to work, going over everything I had seen tonight. Earlier today I thought I saw Emily hugging someone who resembled Jake, but I laughed the thought away because Jake was supposed to be away on and his flight leaving tomorrow morning.

All this thinking was making my head spin, and I took a deep breath willing myself to calm down and focus on what awaited me tonight. Helping in the kitchen was keeping me on my toes and left me hungry for more. I knew that as soon as I stepped foot in the kitchen, food was all that would occupy my mind. 

Why am I thinking so much about a man who wasn't mine to begin with? 

"I know you two haven't put a label on what you are, but Jake wouldn't be with you just for the fun of it," said Sophie eyes strained on the road ahead.

"Did I say it out loud?" I asked rhetorically before continuing, "yes we didn't label what we are, but-" 

"But nothing," Sophie said cutting me off. "You yourself told me that he turned you down when you asked you be just friends with benefits. Why would he do that, if he didn't want you to be his girlfriend?" She asked parking the car.

I looked outside and saw that we have arrived, I didn't even notice on what road we were on. "Why hasn't he then?"

Sophie opened her mouth to answer me, but closed it, her eyes taking note of something near the dashboard. Looking at what made her give up a good argument, I saw that my shift was starting in ten minutes and I still had to change. I took my bad from the backseat and opened my door getting out of the car.

"Ara?" Sophie called out before I closed the door.

"Yeah?"

"Listen before jumping to conclusions." She said before starting the car and left me dumbfounded on the street.

Taking a deep breath, I crossed the road while thinking about her words. In just a dew months she has known me, she knows me way more than I would have liked, but I wasn't complaining. She has grown on me and I knew she wanted only the best for me as I did her.

When did I become so sappy? 

I entered the restaurant and  went to the locker room to change into my work clothes. The plan was to go home and shower before coming into work, but time wasn't on my side and the month end Friday traffic had other plans for me.

Greeting the three waitresses on their way out, their shifts having ended, I opened my locker and took out my uniform, washing my face as soon as I entered the bathroom and changed

"She's still here? I thought she would be fired by now due to her tardiness," Whispered one of the waitress as I closed the door to the bathroom.

"She comes and goes as she pleases and Beth allows it," answered another.

Putting my hair in tight bun, I looked at myself in the mirror then walked towards the door, only to stop when I heard a voice I recognized as Lisa's joining in.

"Whom are yo gossiping about?" She asked.

Opening the door, I walked towards my locker, pretending like I didn't hear them gossip about me. I put my bag in my locker and made sure I locked it before smiling at them, "Enjoy your evening ladies." I said walking out.

"Thanks, enjoy your shift," answered the two ladies who had a lot to say about me.

After closing the door to the locker room I stopped in my tracks when I noticed that my laces were undone and fastened them. "How could Beth scold her when she's sleeping with Jake?” Said Lisa with disgust in her voice.