Chapter 3

While we were talking, more people started to show up. I want to stay as close to the gang as possible.

"Hey Chris!" Soda shouts over the loud music. I turn my head to face him. "Come with me." He finishes.

He grabs my hand & brings me across the room.

"So, do you like them all?" He asks.
I turn around I see them. They're all laughing & having a good time.

"Yeah. I really do." I say smiling, still looking at them.

"Good. You know, you can hang out with us if you want. You know, even after this party." He says.

"Thanks, but I don't really want to be a bother." I admit.

He looks at me with a confused expression on his face. "Bother? You don't bother no one. You're really cool & the gang seems to love you. Even little ol' Johnny ain't terrified of you so that must be a good sign." He says. I laugh at that remark.

"Then, yeah. That sounds great." I smile. He does the same. In the middle of this all. I hear a scream.

Soda & I turn around to see what that was. I see a tough lookin' girl next to the gang, mainly next to Johnny. She is looking at her now wet shirt holding a cup. The whole room grows silent. She looks furious.

"Oh no." Soda whispers.

"What?" I ask.

"That's Tim Shepherds' sister, Angela." He says. I look back at the scene.

"You good for nothin' punk! You did this on purpose!" She screams at Johnny. He just looks at the ground. The gang is trying to get Johnny away from the scene. I walk up to them. I hear Sodapop saying something to me but I ignore. Shortly after, he follows.

"Hey, I said I didn't mean to!" Johnny says. She just shoves him. The gang is helping him up. They're helping Johnny. Meanwhile, I'll try to stop Angela.

I walk over to her putting my hand on her stomach to stop her from moving any further.

"Hey come on calm down." I say to her. At the corner of my eye, I see the boys looking at me like I'm nuts. The next thing I know, she shoves me. I stumble backwards, she didn't shove me enough to make me fall.

I hear everyone around me saying things like "ahhhh....". She just shoved Johnny & was calling him names, & now: she shoved me. She isn't going to walk away like this.

I use all of my force & push her. Knocking her off of her feet. She falls to the ground. Everyone gasps. Even the gang. I can't believe I just did that. She gets up to try & attack me, but someone grabs her & takes her to a room.

"You're gonna pay! You hear me!" She screams. Then disappears into a room. I feel someone touch my hand. I turn to see Darry.

"Come on." He says. I turn back to the door where Angela disappeared to. I see someone I didn't expect to see in the corner of the room: Dally. He just looks at me with a look of approval. I'm still looking at him when Darry grabs my arm & takes me out of the building. Along with the rest of the gang except Dallas.