Chapter 2 : Puzzling Mission

Hours, minutes and seconds that Reita was thinking of what could be the reason why that girl reacts that way the first day he saw her. It was the very first time that his mission could do such a thing; even making him feel those rare feelings.

"Is it really important to know why? If she's your mission then just kill her, Reita." Kouki suggested after they told him what was puzzling the two.

Killing her will be even simple since there was no angel to deal with. A little snap of his fingers could give a nightmare to the sleeping girl in front of him. Mission done. But something deep within him stopped him from doing so.

He stared at her. Some of her dark brown hair was tangled around her face. A faint breathing coming out from a parting of her lips, Defenseless from the entire vile scheme for her.

Days that he continued to watch his mission; following her everywhere she goes, observing her expressions, staring at her while she sleeps, laughing at her when she suddenly does something stupid or her clumsiness suddenly attacks her. It was entertaining for him; until one day changed everything.

He was doing his new chores; to watch her from a distance.

She was standing at the edge of the street along with other people waiting for the traffic light to turn green. Her eyes weren't on the post rather on the book that she couldn't leave.

He had seen the title of it when she was doing her laundry; he got the chance to trespass in her room and looked around and that book on her bed caught his attention. "The Edge of Never"

The book was never interesting for him but her having an interest in a book like that amused him.

The light turned green and people started to cross the road including her. Carelessly she kept her eyes on the book as she continued to walk. As her feet took another step, a four wheeler truck sped up to her direction. People around her started to run away, some were calling out to her to get out of the way but her eyes were still glued on the intriguing book she was reading.

"What the hell?! RUN!" Reita stood up from where he was and for the first time again he felt something unusual; he was scared; scared that the girl will lose her life in that very moment.

Reita didn't think twice and appeared behind his mission, the truck was just a few pace away from them. He pulled her back by her right shoulder that made her book fell down the street. The truck whipped past her when she was already facing him. Then he realized he wasn't using his invisibility and he was here facing his mission in full humanly way. He could hear her breath coming very fast. Her eyes traveled up to meet his and he saw clearly the horror that had struck her. Her lips separated about to say something but he walked away hurriedly.

He didn't know how far he was from her already but he kept on walking unstopping.

"Why did I leave? She was gonna say something... What is it?" He murmured to his self groaning and raking his hands through his hair.

His steps became slower then he stopped. He had enough.

"Hey... Did you hear that?" Aika asked, whispering to one of her closest classmate, Oru; Making sure that their teacher wasn't looking at them first.

"What?" the brown haired tightened her eyes.

Aika's brows furrowed. "You... didn't? the.... Chimes?"

Oru shook her head. "What chimes?"

She looked back at where she heard it again somewhere outside their classroom. "Nevermind..."

"Maybe I'm starting to hear things..." she thought. "I'm going crazy..."

Just when she bowed her head to her desk a knock disturbed their class. Their teacher walked out of their room and as the door close the students started to get noisy. Chatting and shouting echoed the whole room.