Chapter 15

3rd pov:

"Hello, Leta. This is a surprise," Dumbledore said as he noticed Leta sitting at her old desk, lost in thought. Startled, she jumped slightly, then closed her eyes briefly before asking in a cold tone, "Finding me in a classroom? Was I such a bad student?"

"On the contrary, you were one of my cleverest," Dumbledore replied. "I said bad, not stupid!" Leta snapped as she stood up, facing her former teacher. "Don't bother answering. I know you never liked me," she said. "Well, you're wrong. I never thought you bad," Dumbledore reassured her.

"You were alone, then. Everyone else did. And they were right. I was wicked," Leta admitted quietly. "Leta, I know how painful the rumors about your brother Corvus must be for you," Dumbledore acknowledged. "No, you don't. Not unless you had a brother who died too," Leta retorted.

"In my case, it was my sister," Dumbledore revealed, earning a hostile and curious look from Leta. "Did you love her?" she asked him. "Not as well as I should have done," Dumbledore confessed as he moved closer to her.

"It's never too late to free yourself. Confession is a relief, I'm told. A great weight lifted," Dumbledore advised, looking earnest. Leta continued to stare at him, suspicion clear in her eyes. "Regret is my constant companion. Do not let it become yours," he cautioned her.

☼☽⋆。°✧ ✧⋆°。☾☼

Genevieve let out a yelp as the Zouwu slapped her to the side with its large paw. Rolling a few times on the grassy ground, she stayed still. Moments later, Newt was knocked aside and tumbled close to her. After they reached the safe house inside Newt's case, they tried to get the chains off the Zouwu, but it proved to be quite a challenge.

Suddenly, Newt was lifted up by the Zouwu's claw, dangling right in front of the creature. Genevieve watched closely, not moving to avoid angering the Zouwu. Newt's right hand reached out slowly and removed the harness around the creature. "You're all right," he muttered as the Zouwu realized she was free and started roaming around her enclosure.

Genevieve chuckled as she sat up, and Newt walked over, kneeling before her. "See, she is a big cat," Genevieve joked. "A really big one. You all right?" Newt asked her, concerned. "I'm fine. Nothing I can't handle," Genevieve replied as Newt helped her to her feet. Placing his hand on her cheek, Newt looked into her eyes with love and concern, making sure she wasn't hurt.

Genevieve smiled as she placed her hand over his, then she turned her head and kissed the palm of his hand and his thumb. "D-Do you know that y-y-your eyes...they....they really are..." Newt stammered, looking away. "Newt?" Genevieve said, confused and concerned.

"Y-Your eyes...they have this e-effect like..." Newt stammered again. "Like what?" Genevieve asked, raising an amused eyebrow. She placed her thumb under his chin, turning his head to face her. "Newt, what are you trying to say?" she asked him.

He bit his inner cheek, trying to speak but stopping. It was as if he was having an internal struggle on whether to say something or not.

"Your eyes have this effect in them... Like they are fierce but so soft. I've only ever seen that in--"

"Kneazles," Genevieve finished, shocking him. Locking eyes, she chuckled, giving him a small smile. They leaned closer to each other until their lips met. Newt cupped her face in his hand as their lips moved in sync, Genevieve's hand tousling his hair. Though it had only been three months, it felt like an eternity since they could be close like this.

Their moment was interrupted by Jacob's voice shouting from above. "Newt?! Genevieve?! Everything alright down there? Just reminding you two that we need your help!" They broke the kiss, sharing a chuckle. "Well... can't keep them waiting," Newt muttered to Genevieve, who nodded, and the two of them walked above to rejoin the others.