❤️🐢 | please wait

raph x mute reader

enjoy!
_______

You were going to do it.

You had been mute for the majority of your teenage years due to a significantly brain-damaging incident. Ever since, you were required to participate in speech therapy, and fortunately had some luck retrieving your voice. At first, you were only able to make small noises, but not any words. Not even a greeting. However, in the past few days, you and your therapist found that you could finally speak a few simple words. And you wanted to share them with your closest friend, someone who was completely patient with you and understood your condition to a T.

This person was Raph, a snapping turtle yokai. The two of you chatted and enjoyed each other's company every day, though you, of course, had to communicate with sign language. When you both couldn't see each other, you'd simply text.

Last night, you had come over to Raph's place for a sleepover. However, now you felt groggy and alone, as you were the first to wake up come morning. You had to sleep in isolation on the sofa since no one wanted to share their bed (or perhaps one person secretly did), so you woke up eerily lonely. You didn't like that. Uncomfortable with the solitude, you silently crossed through a short labyrinth of tunnels until you found the room of the turtle you needed.

Quietly, you entered Raph's room. He was already awake, lazily watching something on his phone. However, when he saw you enter, he paused it and flashed a sleepy smile. "Hey, (y/n)."

You waved hello in response.

"Since when are you up so early?" Raph asked.

'Since now,' You signed.

He chuckled, "It's, like, four in the morning. Don't get too sassy yet."

'You taught me it,' You signed with a playful smile.

Raph scoffed with a smirk as you hopped upon at the edge of his bed. When you got comfortable, you felt compelled to speak. Your nerves got the best of you, however. You glanced around the room to muster up the strength again. It was unclear of what your voice might sound like since you just started using it a few days ago.

Raph noticed that you seemed troubled. "You good?"

You signed 'please wait' to him. He understood and curiously did so. After a moment, you parted your lips to speak. A section of your brain was naturally fighting against it, but you finally managed to say something in front of him.

"Morning," You shyly said, your voice just below a whisper.

Raph took a second to process his feelings, his eyes slowly growing wide. He then burst out in excited laughter, clumsily stumbling off of his bed. When he got his balance back, he scooped you up by your thighs and quickly spun you around. You quietly giggled through your nose as he placed you back down on the bed.

He cupped your face and looked at you with heartfelt eyes. "You...you sound beautiful!"

You pursed your lips, maintaining a smile as tears stung at your eyes. Raph noticed your watery eyes, and instantly got on a knee to embrace you. He held you tightly, allowing you to softly weep on his shoulder.

"Thanks," You mustered out, making him tense again.

Raph wanted to let out a thrilled scream at the sound of your voice, but all he did was hug you closer. In all the time he had known you, he'd always dreamed about what your voice would sound like and what you would say. But now, Raph didn't care that it wasn't something grand, he was just proud that you spoke.

Rubbing excess tears from your eyes, you pulled away. You signed, 'I've learned a few other things.'

Raph grinned and sat back down on his bed, adjacent to you. "Okay, lemme hear it."

You gave it your best. "How...are you?"

A barely audible squeal emerged from his throat. "Oh my god! Uh, I'm fine---well, I'm way more than fine! You sound so smooth!"

You pridefully nodded and continued. "Thank you. It...took...ti-time."

"You're doing great, (y/n). You don't know how proud of you I am right now," Raph complimented, making you smile and temporarily peer away.

'I've learned something extra special," You signed.

"I don't know the fourth word, what was it?" He patiently asked.

You spelled out 'extra' to him in sign, and he nodded once more when you finished. "Ah, got it. I'm all ears, then."

You took a deep sigh, taking a moment to compile your thoughts and to build up any courage. What you were planning to say was a wide contrast from the casual phrases you had said. It was more personal.

You whispered, "I...love you."

Like before, Raph had to take a moment to process what he heard. This time, however, he wasn't just taking in your voice; he was taking in that phrase. You waited, just as patient with him as he had always been with you.

"(Y/n)..." He muttered, reaching his hand toward you to carefully caress your cheek.

Your face felt warm as you welcomed the meek touch. You sadly signed, 'I'm sorry if you didn't want me to say that.'

Raph hastily shook his head. "No, no, no. That's exactly what I wanted to hear."

You looked up at him in surprise, your eyes sparkling with admiration. Without warning, you pecked a small kiss to his cheek. Raph was certainly shocked by your gesture, but he wasn't satisfied enough with it. As you pulled away from his cold cheek, Raph took hold of your chin and pressed his lips to yours. He was empowered by the sweet kiss once you let out a cute peep, considering you never made a sound to him until this morning.

You both parted for air with the same dazed, loving smile.

Alongside quiet laughter, you signed, 'I'll speak more if I get more kisses like that.'

"I can promise you that," Raph smirked.

'You spoil me.' You signed, your tongue briefly out.

He playfully shrugged and nodded in agreement before leaning back towards the bed.

"I can also spoil you with 'we woke up too early' naps. C'mere," He murmured deeply.

With a big grin, you plopped down beside him and hugged his bulky arm. Raph laid upon his plastron, and his head turned towards you. His smile grew sleepy once again as you snuggled closer, shutting your eyes to rest beside him. Similar to how he fell in love with you, there were no words needed.