XXXI

- lock the doors. -

As the dawn broke over Fontaine, casting golden rays across the cobblestone streets, the city stirred with a sense of urgency. The news of her disappearance had spread like wildfire, igniting a frenzy of activity as townsfolk mobilized to aid in the search efforts. The chief stood at the forefront, his brow furrowed in determination as he coordinated the search parties and deployed resources to scour every corner of the city. With each passing moment, the weight of her absence hung heavy in the air, a palpable reminder of the unknown dangers that lurked in the shadows.

"Any news or sign of her?"

"No, sir. I'm terribly sorry."

The once bustling streets of Fontaine now lay eerily quiet, the usual chatter replaced by whispers of concern and fear. Every passing minute felt like an eternity, each moment stretching out in agonizing anticipation of news, any news, about her whereabouts. In the heart of the city, the chief stood amidst a flurry of activity, his eyes scanning the horizon for any sign of her. With each step he took, the weight of responsibility bore down upon him, driving him forward in his relentless pursuit to bring her home safely. Rains filled the streets. The streets flooded a lot. It seems Neuvillette wasn't handling this well.

As the hours passed, the tension in Fontaine only seemed to intensify, spreading like wildfire through the streets and alleys of the city. Rumors swirled, fueled by fear and uncertainty, as whispers of foul play and dark magic echoed off the cobblestone walls. The chief found himself at the center of it all, a beacon of authority in the midst of chaos, his every decision weighed with the gravity of the situation.

Despite the urgency of the search, there was a palpable sense of helplessness that hung in the air, a feeling of being caught in the grip of forces beyond their control. Yet, amidst the turmoil, there was a glimmer of hope—a steadfast determination to uncover the truth and bring her back to safety.

For the chief, every passing moment without her felt like an eternity, each second stretching out into an agonizing wait for news, any news, that could lead them to her. With each step he took, he felt the weight of responsibility pressing down upon him, driving him forward in his relentless pursuit to bring her home. And as the sun dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows across the city, he knew that the night ahead would be filled with uncertainty and danger—but he refused to rest until she was found.

"I... I just want her back..."

"I know, sir. We are doing everything in our power to find her. She will return safe."

"Thank you..."

The chief walked alone through the deserted streets of Fontaine, the echo of his footsteps the only sound to break the silence that enveloped the city like a heavy blanket. The familiar sights and sounds of bustling activity had vanished, replaced by an eerie stillness that seemed to hang in the air like a foreboding omen.

With each step he took, the weight of responsibility bore down upon him, pressing him forward in his solitary journey. His mind churned with thoughts of her, his every thought consumed by the urgency of her disappearance. He couldn't shake the feeling of unease that gnawed at him, the fear of what might befall her lingering like a shadow at the edge of his consciousness.

In the darkness of the night, the chief was alone with his thoughts, his footsteps echoing against the cobblestones as he navigated the labyrinthine streets of Fontaine. But even in his solitude, he remained resolute in his determination to find her, to bring her back safely to the city that awaited her return with bated breath.

"Aw, poor chief."

As the chief continued his solitary walk through the quiet streets of Fontaine, a figure emerged from the shadows, materializing like a specter in the night. It was Tartaglia, his presence a sudden intrusion into the chief's somber reverie.