Chapter Fifteen(v3)

Chapter Fifteen

"Leon!"

Leon snapped awake, and jerked his head in Daniel's direction. His sleep had been so blissful, a blank, black relief from the pain.

Daniel shrugged. "You fell asleep again."

Daniel's face blurred in Leon's eyes. He blinked, but it didn't help. Daniel was talking, telling him something with a sense of urgency, but Leon couldn't pick up what the words meant. He stared at Daniel's moving mouth, his frightened eyes, but he couldn't discern what he was saying. Finally, the words sank into his brain at last: "It's almost day."

Leon looked around him and noticed the dawning light, the sky perched on the edge of day and night. His brain panicked and froze all at once. His time was running out. Dante was going to return. And then what would happen? Would they die here? Leon's brain clouded for a second. He couldn't focus, or even think. He forgot everything, then it came back to him. He had to escape. Leon thrashed and writhed in his chair, but the attempt was futile and mournful, like a butterfly with a single wing. The chair was rotted, but not enough to break. He wriggled again, unable to come up with a concrete plan. The rational part of his brain was paralyzed, and whenever he tried to restart it, it would rumble then refuse. Every time Leon tried to think of some plan or idea that might work, it dissolved in his brain like sugar in water.

Leon bit his lip, and looked over at Daniel desperately. Daniel's eyes glimmered with fear. Leon stumbled over what to say. He had promised Daniel he wouldn't be hurt, and that one was already broken. But now would Leon have to take responsibility for Daniel's death as well? His vision became fuzzy, like he was looking at the world through a blurred lens. He could feel his consciousness being pulled downward. He fought briefly, but could sense already it overwhelmed him. It swished over him and snuffed him out, a candle robbed of its flame.

"Leon!"

Daniel had revived him once again. Leon opened his eyes again, and Daniel audibly sighed.

"Christ Leon," he laughed with an edge. "I thought I lost you for a sec."

Leon joined his nervous laughter. "Yeah." For a moment, he thought he was gone as well. He wondered if he really could have died right then.

"What time is it?" Leon asked.

"Fuck if I know." Daniel retorted.

Leon looked up, wondering why Daniel displayed so much hostility. Then, he realized the barn shined with a bright light. It was day, and Daniel was, predictably, freaking out.

Time had almost run out.

Part of him felt horrible dread. The other part of him was detached from the situation. Although he wanted to live more than anything, he also knew there was nothing he could do. His brain was too muddled to hope to get out of here. He and Daniel were going to die. The statement seeped into him. They were going to die.

Daniel whimpered quietly. Leon wished he could offer any words of comfort, but at the same time knew there was no point. They were both aware what was going to happen. Leon watched Daniel for a time, contemplating their fate. Daniel's eyes were distantly staring at the ground, looking similar to when Leon had been dragged away. He had retracted within himself to block out the dark reality. It was a basic survival instinct, but simple to break. Leon had done it many times when he questioned others. He was tempted to do so, in order to have company again, but decided to spare him. Soon enough he'd have to return to reality.