Chapter Thirty Four(v3)

Chapter Thirty Four

Leon followed Philip out the door, but the boy had already disappeared. He wandered back to the room where the television was frozen on a reporter's face. Leon grabbed the remote, and pressed play, listening to the details. The boy was indeed Adam. His head had been left in a box sometime last night. The police found the head in the morning. Leon's mind flashed back to that morning Adam delivered a box to him, then shook it away. Leon pulled his hand through his hair, and touched his scar. Shit. Philip was right. The police would suspect him. But the head was left for him, not by him. Clay's murderer, he was sure, was the one who beheaded Adam.

Leon quickly made plans in his head. What he was planning to do required intricate planning. Cale could not be underestimated, and Leon might still have to worry about Philip as a threat. Although he gave his permission,that was still no guarantee he wouldn't change his mind. And he definitely couldn't count on Philip to find Cale, or to help. So where could Leon find out where Cale was hiding? Who else knew where Cale was?

Leon didn't need to think over the question long before the unwanted answer came to him. He groaned. Of course it had to be her. It could have only been her.

Leon sighed, then called out the name. "Joanna?"

There was no reply.

Leon exhaled another heavy sigh. It looked as though he had to go search her out. But where could she be? Where could he find her in such a massive structure? He started wandering around, though he didn't call out her name. He didn't want others in the house to know that he was looking for her. He turned corners, blindly searching. He peeked into the kitchen, but only found Philip applying ice to his arm. He didn't notice Leon, so Leon retreated backward and continued on in his search. He quickly searched every room he came across, but she was nowhere to be found. A sudden thought occurred to him.

"Haley?" he called out instead.

No response.

Something heavy thumped in his chest. A shiver coursed through him. "Haley?" He was able to detect a hint of alarm in his own voice. What if...

Oh no. Oh no, no, no.

He started running. Part of him thought that he was being irrational. Yet, he knew how manipulative Joanna could be. And Haley...Joanna might hate Leon, but she hated Haley even more. And Joanna knew the best way to hurt Leon was through Haley.

He turned a corner, to see Joanna exiting a room. His room. Haley's room.

"What the hell are you doing?" Leon growled, storming up to her.

She looked over at him. "Oh, Sparrow. Hello."

"Don't act casual with me. What are you doing with her?"

"Nothing!" Joanna defended.

"I don't believe you." Leon growled. "What did you do with my wife?"

"Nothin'." Joanna retorted. "We were only talking. I wanted to introduce myself to her."

"You think I believe that?" Leon scoffed.

"Fine." Joanna sniffed. "Check on her yourself. She's in there, perfectly fine."

Leon stared at her for a moment, then put a hand to the door knob and twisted. He opened it, staring at Joanna's smirk, and found Haley reading a book.