Chapter Twenty Eight(v3)

Leon parked his car next to the police station and sat there for a moment, mentally preparing himself. He wasn't sure what Houston was going to say about this, or even if he would help. Daniel and Houston never really saw eye to eye. But hopefully Houston wouldn't let that hate get in the way of his thinking. Leon took a breath, and stepped out of the car. Last time he had talked to Houston he sensed some suspicion emitting from him. Maria was thoroughly convinced that Leon had killed her fiancé. Had she managed to push her beliefs onto Houston? He hoped dearly for Daniel's sake that Houston would help. For half a second he wondered why he was even bothering. He was risking his safety for Daniel. But then he recalled everything Daniel had done for him, and all they had been through together. He couldn't abandon him a second time. Cale could kill Daniel, if he hadn't already. He couldn't just leave Daniel's fate in the hands of a lunatic. And that was why he strolled into the station with a forcibly calm expression. He didn't recognize the officer at the front desk, but by his aggressive expression they recognized him. Leon sighed.

"Would Officer John Houston happen to be in?" he asked.

A snarl passed the man's face. "What do you need of him?"

"I just need to talk to him." Leon explained calmly. "Is he here?"

He looked over Leon, then pointed to the back hallway. "He's in his office."

"Thank you." Leon replied with a smile. It was fortunate-usually Houston wasn't here at this hour. He strolled to Houston's office and knocked on the door.

"Maria?" Houston called out from inside.

"No," Leon responded, "it's Leon."

"What are you here for?"

"To report a crime I guess."

By the way Houston was silent Leon knew that he was making sense of the incredibility in those words. The door opened and Houston peered at him with hard to read eyes, then said, "Come with me."

Leon considered saying something, but decided to obey instead. They walked halfway up the hall, and Houston opened a door for Leon.

"Wait here." Houston instructed. "I'll be right back."

Leon looked at him. There was something strange about this situation, but Leon couldn't grasp what exactly. Finally, he entered the room and Houston shut it behind him. Leon looked around and automatically felt somewhat panicked. Houston had led him into an interrogation room. Leon immediately turned around and grabbed for the handle. Locked. Damn it Houston.

"John!" Leon barked. "Let me out of here!"

He waited, but there was no answer. Leon growled, then after a moment relented. He took a seat beside the table, across from two chairs identical to his. He leaned back and closed his eyes, trying to calm his nerves. He attempted to assure himself that nothing was wrong. That there was some simple harmless reason for Houston's unusual placement of him. Leon would have heard if any bodies were found. There was nothing concrete they could blame on him. After a time Houston returned, but with Maria's company.

"Maria." Leon said with a smile. "How good to see you again."

Maria's eyes darkened with animosity. Leon could almost hear the accusations toward him that were running through her head. They both knew she was convinced that Leon killed the cops. Leon expected her to make a curt reply but she remained silent. They both took seats in the chairs opposite to his.