Chapter Forty One(v3)

Chapter Forty One

Philip put a hand on Leon's shoulder, and gently shook it. Leon opened his eyes, the movement waking him, and looked up at Philip. Leon looked up at him. For once, Philip didn't try to hold back the emotions he was feeling. Sympathy was written all over his face. Leon looked back at his dead wife lying on the bed. He sighed. What a load of shit this was.

"I'm sorry." Philip said in a soft voice.

Leon smiled bitterly. "Yeah, me too."

Philip paused. "It's been a day, and all you've been doing is sitting next to it."

"That 'it' was the love of my life."

"I know. But you have to start thinking about what you're going to do."

"What can I do?"

"Well," he stopped again, attempting to phrase what he was thinking. "The body's going to start to smell. You'll need to dispose of it."

"Dispose of Haley? You want me to throw her into the lake like she's trash?"

"No, I was thinking. Well, I possess some unsavory information about a man working at the crematory. I could use that to blackmail him into cremating her."

"He wouldn't alert the police?"

Philip grinned. "He wouldn't dare risk his secret."

Leon thought for a moment. It was his best and only choice. "That's...very kind of you Philip."

Philip shrugged. "I can understand how it feels to lose someone you waited your whole life for."

"Yeah, I guess so."

"When do you want me to take her over?"

Leon glanced at the body with a wistful expression. "Do it now I guess." He couldn't stand to look at her anymore, knowing that face will never smile. That those arms will never hug, that those lips will never kiss. She was gone.

Philip nodded. "And when I get back, we should have a talk."

Leon wasn't sure what Philip meant, but he was too exhausted to ask so he simply grunted.

Philip stared at Leon for a moment before asking, "Would you like to go with me? It might help."

Leon shook his head. "I honestly don't think it will. And just in case, I shouldn't show my face. The last thing I need is cops on my ass."

"Suit yourself. Could you at least carry her to the car?"

Leon was about to refuse, but then realized Philip couldn't hope to lift that much dead weight, and nodded. "Sure." But then he glanced at Haley's body and something flitted through him.

He didn't want to touch her. This thing was not Haley. Not his wife. Yet, at the same time, it was. Those were still the same hands, the same face, those same breasts. For a moment, he let himself block out the fact that she was dead. She was only sleeping. Leon stood over her, watching her sleep. He wrapped his arms under her, supporting her shoulders and hips, and gently lifted up his beautiful bride. He stared into her face and exhaled a breath. He carried her to Philip's car, and placed her on the back seat, situating her dress so she looked decent. He smiled. He couldn't believe how pretty she was.