Poem 14: What does Freedom mean?

What I find compelling are the several connotations surrounding the subject of freedom. It is interesting to observe the opinions of others regarding free will, as it has so many definitions, whether it be of religious ideology, political freedom, or personal freedom. Are we really free?

"I want the freedom to choose my religion."
"I want the freedom to choose what color to paint my room."
"I want the freedom to be treated as equal."
"I want the freedom to choose how long to have my nails."

The magnitude of pretenses occupying the term "Freedom" relays a strong message.

The Bible:

"Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God's slaves." (1 Peter 2:16)

The Quran:

"No one other than God can limit human freedom." (Surah 42: Ash-Shura: 21)

Buddhism:

"Humans are entitled to dignity, that all members of the human family have an equal and inalienable right to liberty, not just in terms of political freedom, but also at the fundamental level of freedom from fear and want." (The Dalai Lama)

As followed from the passages above, freedom is exercised in all aspects. Whether religious or not, humankind and the human family are entitled to freedom, yet it is the very same humans that restrict both themselves and others from freedom.

I urge society across the world not to be blinded by false freedom and to work towards coming together for a better freedom.