𝑺𝑬𝑹𝑰𝑬𝑺 𝑭𝑶𝑼𝑹 ♥︎ 22

So today was the day of the qualifier.

It had all come down to this.

Alfie had taught James the choreo and, in a matter of hours, he had learned it. They had practiced for three days straight, and mostly their duet was fueled by their hatred for each other.

Now, watching from the audience, Orla fully realised that all the teams performing today were amazing. Especially this team called Overhauser, who were on before them.

She was with Emily and Skylar, who had been announced the new dance captain of A-Troupe a few days ago. Riley was not present. Emily said that she was dealing with family stuff, and that she kinda needed to be there and had argued with her mum that she was staying with Orla until the qualifier was over.

The sound of the scores being announced made Orla go still.

"Overhauser scores ninety six points, moving them into first place."

This instilled panic in Orla, as that meant TNS had to score ninety seven to make it to Regionals. Which was huge.

But she also knew that James and Alfie could do it.

They could.

"Final competitors, please make your way to the stage."

"That's us," Emily said, looking to Skylar, who gave her a tight lipped smile.

"This is it. If James and Alfie don't have the dance of their lives... The Next Step isn't going to Regionals."

♥︎♥︎♥︎

Seeing the boys arguing across the wings was something Orla could've lived without, but she tried not to think about it as they took the stage, standing back to back.

The story of their dance was something between two knights facing off. The music definitely fitted it.

If you want a rivalry

Check yourself before you start a war

If you want a rivalry

Careful what you wish for

When they turned round the looks they gave each other were so full of loathing Orla wondered how it was possible to despise someone so much.

When they started to dance, they had absolutely no chemistry. But they had something stronger. Hatred.

Their tricks were just as good as each other's as Alfie turned and James flipped, the audience cheering for them.

No one seemed to realise how strongly they disliked each other.

"James and Alfie can't stand each other, and it's fueling this dance," Emily smiled. "I basically predicted this!"

As the song slowed down, so did the boy's choreo. They seemed to be wanting to out compete each other with it, resulting in them both doing it to the best of their ability and giving it their all.

As James flipped off Alfie's back, Orla heard the cheers and looked at the judges, wondering if they could see what the real story was here.

The dance ended with the boys face to face, chests heaving, noses inches from each other's. Their faces showed possible violence and their fists were clenched.