Chapter 34: Conflict of interest

《《《A week after the conference》》》

Lawrence's POV

"That was an excellent performance. A week later and you're still in the headlines", father said making me smile. I had just got in the car after walking Maya up to my penthouse. She's been staying in it for a while now. "I don't think Mother and Hellen will agree with that", I said making him chuckle. "They're women, it's expected", he said then reached for his phone.

The conference was the father's idea. He wanted me to go public and confess that I loved Maya. It didn't feel right. I didn't want to make it a big deal but then the damn paparazzi decided to ruin things.

"Let's go to Forever Bright's HQ. We need to discuss some items on how to proceed. We also have a meeting with Philip Netherenes. He's been too close to Aubrey these past couple of months, I don't like it. It might ruin our plans", father said as if he was calculating something in his head. I guess the lawyer in him was in full gear today.

We reached the office and went straight to my floor. He poured a drink for himself while I checked my emails. As expected, there were a lot.

"What's the plan here Father? I feel like what I just did will make things worse for me. I already feel like crap as it is. I allowed my impulse to take over and slept with her sister. She probably hates me even more right now", I rambled and my heartbeat was the speed of lighting.

"Calm down you fool! It was the only contingency we had that would make the paparazzi back off", he said then sipped his whiskey. "Thanks to this scandal, you are getting more traction... meaning Forever Bright will as well. Isn't that what we want?", he asked, and even though it was an unorthodox way, he was right. Our call centers have been flooding with calls and the sales have tripled.

I knew I was supposed to be celebrating but the whole situation was becoming too much and I needed a distraction. "Mr. Columbus, your 2 pm is here", Giada said making Father and I turn to her and nod. We stood up and went to the boardroom, we found Philip waiting for us with his COO. "Welcome to Forever Bright my boy", father said with a huge smile that matched Philip's. "Happy to be here Sir", he said respectfully.

His happy face disappeared the moment our eyes met and by the way he furrowed his brows, I knew he hated my guts. "Columbus, what a nice place you got here", he said and shook my hand firmly. I returned the energy, "Thanks, please have a seat". After further introductions from both sides, the meeting started.

"As you can see. Forever Bright has huge potential and the numbers to prove it but that is only within the country. With this partnership, we will be able to expand to yours as well. What do you think?", I explained and left the ball on his court. He scratched his beard then furrowed his brows and turned to his COO, the man just nodded. He was too young to be a COO, which only meant that he was the best of the best because, from what I heard. Philip never went for an average person. His team was the best at all levels. The investment he has made in his Exco team was top-notch. It was all that the corporates talked about.

"Thank you for the presentation Columbus, I must admit Forever Bright is at its peak for sure...", he said then smirked and I knew that I wasn't going to like what was coming next. "But, unfortunately, you're a week late. You see I'm joining Fiducia in their sustainability campaign that might bring conflict of interest should agree to join you", he said and left it at that. "What do you mean? What campaign?", father asked and he looked impatient. "My apologies Sir but at this point, I'm not at liberty to say. NDAs can be quite tricky that way but I believe the announcement will be made soon. I believe this meeting is done correct?", he asked me.

I was speechless. What was Aubrey up to? I was brought back to reality when my father patted my shoulder. Then I realized I zoned out. "You worry too much. I believe it's nothing. You have a good day", Philip said with the same smirk still on his face. Fuck! I need to find out what Aubrey is up to.

"Oh, I almost forgot. Congratulations on your new relationship. Falling in love with sisters is quite tricky", he said with a wicked smile making my blood boil. "What does that mean?", I asked with my hands turning into fists. "Nothing negative, I just think you've got balls, man. Good for you", he said then stepped in the elevator. "Just make sure you don't lose them because of it", were the last words he said before the elevator doors closed, and added a wink at the end.

What a bastard!

"We need to find out what she's up to ASAP", father said while typing on his phone. "I understand, I'll call the PI right away", I said. "I have to go now. Don't forget about dinner", he said then walked out of my office.

"Lawrence, are you ok? You seem tense", Giada asked and I nodded. "I just need some time to think. Call the car. I need to leave", I said and she nodded. I watched as she walked out swaying her hips and it made me recall how her ass cheeks usually bounce when I fuck her doggy style then Aubrey's face crossed my mind. I closed my eyes and recalled how she moaned when I made love to her.

"The car is ready", Giada said startling me. "You sure you're ok?", she asked again and I nodded.

I was on the way to my parents' house when I got a call from Maya. She wanted me to pass by and talk. I still had time so I decided to go see her.

"Welcome", she said while looking me in the eyes. "Thanks. What's going on?", I asked the moment I reached the living room.  "I wanted us to talk about what happened. It's been weeks since it did. I don't know what to do or where we stand", she said confidently. It reminded me of Aubrey.

"Lawrence, I really love you. I know that my reputation shows that I can't commit and maybe that's what's making you hesitate but, I really do. Can you give me a chance?", she pleaded. "Maya. What we did was wrong w-", "So you're saying that you didn't feel connected to me when we had sex?", she asked and the images of the way she responded to my touch came rushing in my head making me swallow hard.

She straddled me and placed my hands on her tiny waist. "You see... I want you too. I get the same feeling when I think about you Lawrence. Let me in", she whispered in my ear and I was a goner.