Chapter 53: Being a father

Liam's POV

I couldn't stand the look on Aubrey's face when we walked into the ward. The way she ran into Lilian's arms and held on tight. The sound of her sobbing. It was like a constant stab in the heart.

Helpless.

Broken.

What kind of a person would do such a thing?

Lawrence Columbus.

Young man, you should have known better than to touch my baby girl.

"She does not deserve this Liam. Burn them to the ground".

Lilian's words kept ringing in my head as my driver took me to Fiducia's HQ. Despite Maya's stupidity, things were finally looking up for our Aubrey. Lilian was even planning on convincing them to get married after she gave birth. She was very excited and always talked about how good Ajax was to Aubrey.

Who would have thought?

"Mr. Caddel, welcome", Justin's receptionist greeted me as I walked into his office. I was too pissed to answer her. I walked in and found him pacing back and forth with Netherenes standing by the window with a drink in his hand.

I could smell the tension in the air.

My kind of room.

I couldn't show my anger in front of Aubrey, I would have made things worse. So being with these two was a thousand times better.

"What happened McGren?", I asked. "It was Lawrence, he sent her this text too", he said then showed me his phone.

Unknown: If I can't have you no one will.

I felt my blood boiling. I released a breath.

"Who did the digging?", I asked. "Jenkins, he gave us the information", it made me smile. He was my personal bodyguard, and assigning him to Aubrey was the best decision I ever made. "He's one of yours isn't he?", Justing asked. "I don't know what you're talking about. What's your plan?", I asked and they seemed lost. I wasn't intending to follow whatever they had in mind. I just wanted to seem respectful of their opinion.

"We have nothing yet. Anything we think of will trace back to us so we were still trying to figure it out", Netherenes said. He looked frustrated. To be honest I thought the kid's ego was not capable of playing nice with others but I guess I was wrong. "The important part is that Aubrey agreed to let us handle it. With the babies on the way we can't risk more hospital visits", McGren said. He always cared about Aubrey. But then again she always had that affect on people. "What does Aubrey want to do?", "Take him to court. We all know how that will turn out. His father practically owns the whole justice department", Netherenes said.

He was right.

"Ok then, I have to get back to the hospital. Call me when you have something", I said and they nodded.

"Where to Sir?", my driver asked. "Columbus Law Arsenal", I said then reached for my phone and called my finance director. "Barns, good afternoon, seize all shipments for Forever Bright and call Alexandria and tell her to terminate all major contracts that have Columbus Law Arsenal in them, please. I need feedback within the hour", I said then hung up.

"We're here", my driver said bringing me back to reality. I stepped out of the car and walked into the law firm.

I called Elias. 

"I'm at the ground floor. Care to invite me in?", "Mr. Caddel? This is not a good time. I'm in the middle of a crisis, can we meet some other time perhaps?", he asked making me smirk. "No...", I said then heard him curse then hung up.

It took a second for the receptionist to call me and take me to the tenth floor where the might Elias sat.

I walked in and found his boy there too.

Good, two birds one stone.

"Good afternoon Mr. Caddel, what a nice surprise", Elias said then we shook hands. "Lawrence my boy, how have you been?", I asked while patting his shoulder harder than necessary, he looked uncomfortable but answered anyway, "Good Mr. Caddel". "I'm happy to hear that. Now tell me how many have dropped out so far?", I asked Elias then leaned on the console.

His eyes went wide... good, he was finally catching up.

He looked at his son with anger and I knew the whole room was up to date.

Lawrence's phone rang and when he was about to ignore it, I stopped him, "I think you need to answer that", I said making him swallow hard. "Yes", was all he said then started trembling.

He was clearly not happy with the news he just received.

"You can hang up now", I said then sat on one of the chairs.

"You see, there are only three things that I care about in this world. My businesses, my wife, and Aubrey Kendriks", I remained quiet to give them time to process what I just said.

"She's like a daughter to me... Who am I kidding, she is a daughter to me. You should have seen the look on Lilian's when she brought Ajax to our home. Priceless, and when she told us she was pregnant, my wife was over the moon. 'We're having grandkids!' That was all she sang the whole morning. Did I mention she loves Ajax too? You should have seen how she was excited to host him and Aubrey for dinner. The woman didn't sleep.

Now imagine my reaction when I found out that Ajax's condition was not natural. It can make you think of an eye for an eye situation right?", I asked then looked at Lawrence.

Elias cleared his throat making me turn to him. "Mr. Caddel, this is clearly a misunderstanding I assure you. Right Lawrence?", he said nervously then asked his son. Who looked pale.

"I'm hoping it's that way too Elias. You see... Aubrey wants to take you to court but your father is the best lawyer in town. Some consider him a legend. He can get you out of anything so, I thought I should take a page from his book. Finally, be the father that Aubrey needs. Prioritize my child's safety and happiness, taking into account that she has been nothing but respectful and obedient unlike you... all you do is make decisions using your other head, ruin things, and give your father a headache with all the scandals... must be exhausting right Elias?", I asked his father who looked disappointed.

Before he could answer the door was opened and half a dozen security guards entered, they were armed. I looked at the tag on their uniform and started laughing.

"What's this Elias?", I asked after calming down. "This is me protecting my child Mr. Caddel. Please leave before they drag you out", he said confidently. "Very impressive", I said then clapped for him. He looked confused. "Jimmy, I apologize, there seems to be a miscommunication. Give us the room please and take your team with you", I told one of the guards, he nod then walked out of Elias's office with the rest following behind him.

"What the fuck!", Lawrence said then stood up.

"So naive... do you know what I do for a living Elias?", I asked but he still looked lost. "Lawrence?", I asked the son and he was even more lost.

"You are who you are because I allow it. What's happening to you now, is just a touch of what I can do... feel free to test my limits by coming after my family again. I will gladly show you who I really am... gentlemen. Have a nice day", I said sarcastically then stood up and started walking out.

I was pulled back by the shoulder and I knew a punch was coming my way. I turned and dodged it then punched Lawrence in the gut making him groan in pain and then go on his knees. "I guess you want to see more... ok then", I said then walked out.

I reached for my phone and texted Barns as I was heading for the elevator.

Me: Finish both of them... Amicably.

Barns: News too?

Me: Yes, please.